History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great House

A Grade II Listed Building in Felsham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1726 / 52°10'21"N

Longitude: 0.8245 / 0°49'28"E

OS Eastings: 593241

OS Northings: 256466

OS Grid: TL932564

Mapcode National: GBR RH7.R8P

Mapcode Global: VHKDL.7NRB

Entry Name: Great House

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180595

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280800

Location: Felsham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Felsham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Felsham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rattlesden

Listing Text

FELSHAM COCKFIELD ROAD
TL 95 NW
2/47 Great House
-
15.11.54
GV II
House, early C17 with fragmentary medieval core. Hall range of one storey
with attics, 2-storey crosswing to right; 2-storey service range to rear.
Timber-framed and plastered with C20 pargetted panels. Plaintiled roofs: the
hall range has two C19 gabled casement dormers. An axial early C17 chimney of
red brick with sawtooth shaft. To right of crosswing is a later C17 external
chimney of red brick. Small-paned late C19 and C20 casements. C20 panelled
half-glazed entrance door. A little framing remains from an open hall of
perhaps C15: a closed truss has rather widely-spaced smoke-blackened studding
and a section of rear wall with arch windbracing. The hall open truss has
only storey-posts remaining: the tie beam is replaced by two large cruck-like
knees up to a collar-beam of C17/C18. An inserted early C17 first floor with
ovolo-moulded main beam and chamfered joists laid flat. The cell to left was
rebuilt as a parlour with similar C17 framing: back-to-back open fireplaces
and moulded door frames. Crosswing to right added in later C17 with floor
joists set on edge. 2-tier side-purlin roof. The rear range of 2 cells also
has plain C17 framing, with a diamond-mullioned window. One chamber has good
complete early C18 panelling with fielded large panels, heavy cornice and
bolection-moulded door architrave. Restored c.1980 after period of
dereliction.


Listing NGR: TL9324156466

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.