History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West View House

A Grade II Listed Building in Gislingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.303 / 52°18'10"N

Longitude: 1.0425 / 1°2'32"E

OS Eastings: 607532

OS Northings: 271569

OS Grid: TM075715

Mapcode National: GBR TJN.LD3

Mapcode Global: VHL9L.0CZV

Entry Name: West View House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180613

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279488

Location: Gislingham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Gislingham

Built-Up Area: Gislingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Gislingham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Finningham

Listing Text

GISLINGHAM HIGH STREET (EAST SIDE)
TM 0771
6/32 West View House (formerly
29.7.55 listed as West View)

GV II

House, latterly 2 dwellings, a shop and a public house. c.1600 with c.1700
rebuilding of earlier bays, altered early C19 and C20. Timber frame,
plastered. Steeply pitched black glazed pantiled roof. 3 cell cross passage
plan with hall and service bays rebuilt. 2 storeys and attic. Entrance to
right into service bay has a 6 raised panelled architraved door with a 4-light
fanlight, projecting cornice on shaped brackets, to right a large C19 24-pane
architraved shop window, to left and above 2 and 3-light glazing bar
casements. Eaves cornice. Three 2-light gabled dormers. Axial ridge stack
to left between hall and parlour, service end added external stack with
offsets. Parlour end entrance, shaped brackets to plates. Lean-to outshuts
to rear, C18 brick to centre projecting further, an entrance to left, an early
3-light leaded casement. Interior: parlour has close studding with mid-rail,
stop chamfered axial biding beam and joists. Parlour chamber 4-light diamond
mullioned window opening, parlour roof has lower butt and upper clasped
purlins with cranked collars, halved principals, reverse cranked windbraces,
later bays have thin scantling to exposed frame, through tension bracing, ogee
stop chamfered cross axial binding beams, run out chamfered joists. Formerly
the Prince of Wales Public House.


Listing NGR: TM0753271569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.