History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lackford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3012 / 52°18'4"N

Longitude: 0.635 / 0°38'6"E

OS Eastings: 579764

OS Northings: 270283

OS Grid: TL797702

Mapcode National: GBR QD3.RCM

Mapcode Global: VHJGF.YFK6

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180661

English Heritage Legacy ID: 283773

Location: Lackford, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Lackford

Built-Up Area: Lackford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Lackford St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Lackford

Listing Text

TL 77 SE LACKFORD BURY ROAD

1/66 Church of St. Lawrence
14.7.55

- II*


Church; mediaeval. Flint walls with limestone dressings, gault brick at eaves,
parapets and verges. Plain tiled roofs. C14 west tower in 3 stages, mid C14
west window, C16 crenellated brick parapets, C15 belfry openings on 4 sides.
Boiler house, vestry and north aisle 1868: small windows with 2-centred heads,
flanked by buttresses. East chancel window c.1500, 3 lights, traceried. Lancet
window on north and south side of chancel. Nave windows south side: C15 2-
light, and large C14 2-light with Y-tracery. South porch early C14; opening
has 2-centred arch with polygonal shafts and prominent moulded capital and
base; C.20 roof. C15 south door with C19 pine door leaves, a C12 semi-circular
door arch visible above internally, restored C19. C15 coupled rafter roof in
nave and chancel. Tall C15 tower arch with engaged shafts. North nave arcade
late C13. Evidence for former central tower and north chapel; a squint and
piscina in north wall has moulded head and shafts on both faces. Broad,
unmoulded chancel arch. Chancel north wall recessed for bench and sepulchre,
south wall has late C13 sedilia. East window has C19 glass; flanking niche Nave
pews plain, 1868. C15 benches with poppy head ends refixed to north aisle
wall. Octagonal early C17 pulpit. Octagonal C14 font with foliage in sunk
panels.


Listing NGR: TL7976470283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.