History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tower and Wall Approximately 20 Metres North East of Rycote House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Haseley, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7374 / 51°44'14"N

Longitude: -1.0355 / 1°2'7"W

OS Eastings: 466695

OS Northings: 204739

OS Grid: SP666047

Mapcode National: GBR B0Y.305

Mapcode Global: VHDVF.0LDG

Entry Name: Tower and Wall Approximately 20 Metres North East of Rycote House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246838

Location: Great Haseley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Haseley

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Haseley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Shabbington

Listing Text

GREAT HASELEY RYCOTE
SP6OSE
6/72 Tower and wall approx. 20m. NE
18/07/63 of Rycote House

GV II*


Tower and wall. Early C16. Diaper brickwork with stone dressings. 2-storey
octagonal tower, with stone quoins, moulded strings and copings, has small
4-centre arched windows with labels and a richly-moulded 4-centred arched
doorway. Attached wall to right has the re-set remains of a stone doorcase of
c.1700 with eared architrave and carved surround including lion-mask consoles
and festoons. To right the wall breaks forward with an octagonal angle buttress.
The remnant of the main block of the mansion probably re-built after 1521 by Sir
John Heron, Treasurer to Henry VIII, and/or after 1539 by Sir John William
later Baron Williams of Thame. The house is shown in views of c.1695 by
Winstanley and of 1714 by Kip. It was burned down in 1745.
(J. Salmon, Rycote Chapel, MPBW Guidebook, 1967; Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire, pp.748-9).


Listing NGR: SP6669504740

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.