This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3053 / 52°18'18"N
Longitude: 1.0405 / 1°2'25"E
OS Eastings: 607385
OS Northings: 271812
OS Grid: TM073718
Mapcode National: GBR TJM.KVN
Mapcode Global: VHKD3.ZBF4
Entry Name: The Old Guildhall
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Last Amended: 14 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279503
Location: Gislingham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Gislingham
Built-Up Area: Gislingham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Gislingham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
GISLINGHAM MILL STREET (NORTH SIDE)
6/47 The Old Guildhall
29.7.55 (formerly listed as Old
House, latterly 3 dwellings. Late C15, stacks added and floor inserted
c.1600, part rebuilt late C17, altered c.1800 and C20. Timber frame,
plastered. Thatched roof. 4 bays, a 2 bay open hall with storeyed end bays.
Now all 2 storeys and attic. Two C20 doors, that to right into solar bay, to
left approximately into original cross passage, C20 leaded casements, ground
floor hoodboards, over hall upper bay an inserted 2-light dormer with hipped
thatched head. Axial ridge stack inserted in lower bay of hall and cross
passage. Right or solar gable end early external stack tapering to base with
a single offset, behind a pantiled lean-to outshut, in attic an early latticed
light. Exposed C17 purlins in both gable ends. Interior: much of frame is
concealed, original door rebate into service bay to left, largely rebuilt
following a fire in C17, straight tension bracing in walls, stop chamfered
axial binding beam; in hall inserted stop chamfered axial binding beam and
joists, a chamfered four centred arched door head into solar bay which has a
rebated jowled storey post with a small chamfered brace to a stop chamfered
cross axial binding beam, plain joists. First floor open truss jowled posts
are rebated with traces of corbelling to large arched braces to cambered tie
beam, all chamfered; straight arched braces from posts to wall plates halved
inside close studding with mid-rail. Solar end wall tension bracing, arched
fireplace; inserted ogee stop chamfered axial binding beams at both ends.
Crown post roof, tall octagonal post to open truss with roll and bell moulded
cap and base, 4 way arched bracing, smoke blackened rafters over hall and
solar, roof over end bays largely rebuilt with side purlins. (East Anglian
Miscellany Vol.21, 1927, pp.45-8, E.Mercer, English Vernacular Houses,
R.C.H.M, pp.202-3, NMR).
Listing NGR: TM0738571812
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings