This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1865 / 52°11'11"N
Longitude: 0.8546 / 0°51'16"E
OS Eastings: 595238
OS Northings: 258090
OS Grid: TL952580
Mapcode National: GBR RH3.T1Y
Mapcode Global: VHKDL.R9NP
Entry Name: St Marys House
Listing Date: 18 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280818
Location: Gedding, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Gedding
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Gedding St Mary the Blessed Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
GEDDING DRINKSTONE ROAD
TL 95 NE
3/65 St Mary's House
House; c.1570, extended early C18. 2 storeys. Originally of 2-cell plan with
the 3rd cell added to right. 4 windows. Timber-framed and plastered.
Plaintiled roof; an axial early C17 chimney of red brick with sawtooth shaft,
and an C18 service chimney at right hand gable. Mid C20 leaded casements.
Mid C20 plaintiled porch. Unmoulded framing, fully exposed: close-studding.
Unchamfered floor joists laid flat. A number of blocked diamond-mullioned
windows, one now on an internal wall in the parlour gable was originally of
full width with 7-light sidelights and a larger central light. The large
cambered fireplace lintel in the 2-bay hall has been reused from a timber-
framed chimney. A rare feature is an apparent cross-entry against the left
hand gable, of which the rear doorway remains, blocked. There is no evidence
that a service cell once stood to the left. The C18 framing is of good
quality for date.
Listing NGR: TL9523858090
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings