This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9849 / 50°59'5"N
Longitude: -0.3726 / 0°22'21"W
OS Eastings: 514324
OS Northings: 121870
OS Grid: TQ143218
Mapcode National: GBR HKK.2MN
Mapcode Global: FRA B63H.W37
Entry Name: Kings Windmill
Listing Date: 22 September 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180806
English Heritage Legacy ID: 299535
Location: Shipley, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Shipley
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Shipley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 12 SW SHIPLEY SHIPLEY VILLAGE
965/15/463 King's Windmill
Smock mill and engine house. Mill of 1879 for Mr Friend Marten by Grist and Steel, millwrights of Horsham, engine house of 1880. Corn mill of four storeys has octagonal "roundhouse" of tarred weather-boarding. Platform above this supported on diagonal struts. Upper storeys faced with weather- boarding. Pointed hexagonal cap with ball finial. Sweeps and fantail intact. Attached engine house of one storey corrugated iron on wooden frame with partially gabled and partially hipped corrugated iron roof and casement windows. Steam engine no longer present but water pump survives. Good example of a smock mill in working order and the most recent and biggest windmill in Sussex. The engine house has always been an integral part of the mill and its history and was built within months of the completion of the windmill in 1880. There are two inscriptions over a window on the second floor of the mill: "Engine started January 6th 1880" and "First day new engine October 20th 1880". The steam engine was important to the operation of the mill as the location was not ideal for catching the wind. The mill was bought in 1906 by the author Hilaire Belloc, who owned it until his death in 1953. The mill was worked until
1926 when the engine was disposed of.
Listing NGR: TQ1432421870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings