History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Dorchester, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.643 / 51°38'34"N

Longitude: -1.1657 / 1°9'56"W

OS Eastings: 457829

OS Northings: 194132

OS Grid: SU578941

Mapcode National: GBR 90F.S4T

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.RY3V

Entry Name: The Old Cottage

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248154

Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Built-Up Area: Dorchester (South Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorchester

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

DORCHESTER ROTTEN ROW
SU5794 (West side)
5/123 No.13 (The Old Cottage)
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as The Old
Cottage, High Street)

GV II

House. C15, altered and extended late C16, refronted late C18/early C19. Timber
framing with brick infill and brick; old plain-tile roof with brick ridge
stacks. 3-bay hall house with storeyed ends, extended to rear. 2 storeys.
2-window brick front, in Flemish bond, has 4-panelled door with canopy on shaped
brackets, to left of centre, between segmental-arched 3-light casements, and has
2 similar casements at first floor. To extreme right is a passage entry. Rear
wall is timber framed. C16 timber-framed 2-bay rear wing returns to left with a
timber-framed stair tower in the angle. A lower timber-framed outbuilding,
beyond, is now incorporated into the house. Interior: Left bay retains medieval
first floor with internal jetty over fragments of original stud partition, plus
bolection fireplace and oak panelling of c.1600; centre and right bays have
inserted C16 floor with chamfered-and-stopped joists and intersecting beams.
Roof has clasped purlins, lower king-strut trusses and heavy curved windbraces.
Rear wing has a central open fireplace with chamfered bressumer and ashlar
jambs, heavy joists, and a queen-strut roof with curved windbraces. Passage has
brick inscribed "IB 1798" in a blocked doorway.


Listing NGR: SU5782294131

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.