This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2977 / 52°17'51"N
Longitude: 0.831 / 0°49'51"E
OS Eastings: 593140
OS Northings: 270390
OS Grid: TL931703
Mapcode National: GBR RFQ.T3F
Mapcode Global: VHKD0.CH5Y
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 3 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1180826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283610
Location: Ixworth, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Ixworth
Built-Up Area: Ixworth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ixworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 9270-9370 IXWORTH HIGH STREET
3.2.50 Church of St Mary
Parish Church. Principally in random flint with freestone dressings. Late C14
south porch in knapped flint, with embattled parapet and flushwork panelling to
south face. Late C15 nave with clerestorey: north and south aisles. Nave roof
in 5 bays: low pitched, cambered and moulded tie-beams with winged angels at
base of braces and along cornice. Similar mouldings on both aisle roofs. Nave
and aisle roofs are leaded: money for 'ledying' bequeathed by Robert Garrard in
1533. Floors paved with small C18 tiles in cream and red. Mid C19 pulpit and
bench ends: traditional poppy-heads. C15 octagonal font, probably originally
on a high base. An iron-bound alms box near the south door. C14 chancel,
heavily restored in 1850's. Steeply pitched, plaintiled roof. On south side
the priest's door has a holy water stoup set into wall beside it. At the east
end, an external niche with cusped head, which probably contained a stone rood.
In the south east angle, an external turret for the stair to the rood loft.
Roof with alternate arched brace and hammerbeam trusses: spandrels infilled
with delicate tracery. C13 double piscina. On north side, tomb chest with
decorated pilasters and 3 shields to Richard Coddington (d.1567) and his wife:
Italian leaf-carving on rounded arch of back, 3 vertically-placed brasses.
Memorial east window of 1860's in Decorated style. Late C15 west tower with 4
diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapet. The plinth, parapet, and the
faces of the buttresses have decorated panels and emblems in knapped flint. The
third panel up on the south-east buttress has the crown and arrows saltire of
St. Edmund and the inscription 'Mast Robt Schot Abot': Robert Schot came from
Ixworth, and was Abbot at Bury St Bdmnnds from 1469 to 1474. 3 inscribed
tiles, 2 from the south wall, the other from near the west doorway, are now
placed inside the base of the tower: those from the south wall are dated 1472;
the other reads 'Thome Vyal gaf to the stepil iiij li'. Thomas Vyal left £4 to
the building of the tower in his will, proved 1472. This dating evidence
indicates that work on the tower began in the 1470's.
Listing NGR: TL9314070390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings