History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Laxfield House

A Grade II Listed Building in Laxfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2861 / 52°17'9"N

Longitude: 1.3526 / 1°21'9"E

OS Eastings: 628755

OS Northings: 270624

OS Grid: TM287706

Mapcode National: GBR WMX.LSH

Mapcode Global: VHL9R.DSDV

Entry Name: Laxfield House

Listing Date: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280162

Location: Laxfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Laxfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Laxfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Laxfield

Listing Text

LAXFIELD DENNINGTON ROAD
TM 27 SE

4/42 Laxfield House
-

-- II

Former farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. C17 main range with a c.1600 wing set
forward at right angles to form L-shape plan. Main range considerably altered
in later C19, with 2 gabled additions of c.1900 to the rear. Timber framed,
partly plastered and partly encased in red brick, some of it colourwashed; at
the rear of the main range a brick is scratch-dated 1795. Later additions are
of red brick. Roof of main range is plaintiled, with crest tiles; the other
range is pantiled. Some scalloped bargeboards. 2 storeys with attics.
Various casement windows, mostly of C18-C19 date. One small gabled dormer.
C19 colourwashed brick gabled porch with scalloped bargeboards and a half-
glazed 4-panel door; glazing bars in door and side windows of porch have ogee
heads. C19 door and open porch in the angle of the 2 ranges. Various stacks,
all shafts rebuilt with corbelled caps. Little of the original structure is
visible inside the main range. The roof, with stepped diminished butt purlins
and a ridge piece, dates from the second half of C17. The adjoining range is
less altered and some of the framing can be seen. Original newel stair to
attic. Evidence for diamond-mullioned windows in both gables. The roof has
clasped and butt purlins with 2-way wind-bracing. In the main addition to the
rear is a fine oak overmantel dated 1631 with the initials 'S' over 'WE'; some
carved panelling of similar date now forms a dado. Both overmantel and
panelling have been brought from elsewhere.


Listing NGR: TM2875570624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.