History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lime Tree Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Laxfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3174 / 52°19'2"N

Longitude: 1.3406 / 1°20'26"E

OS Eastings: 627777

OS Northings: 274069

OS Grid: TM277740

Mapcode National: GBR WMH.PRM

Mapcode Global: VHL9R.602S

Entry Name: Lime Tree Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180927

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280168

Location: Laxfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Laxfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Laxfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 27 SE

4/48 Lime Tree Farmhouse

-- II

Farmhouse. In 2 sections: early C16 hall range to west with one-bay addition,
perhaps C17, at service end; parlour block to east added c.1600. Timber
framed and plastered; glazed black pantiles to hall range, plaintiles to
parlour addition. 2 storeys and attic. C18-C19 small-paned casement windows;
in the hall range a C16 window with cavetto mullions. C19 6-panel door, the
upper 2 panels glazed. At its junction with the earlier range the parlour
block has an oblong stack; the base contains a recessed panel with an upper
sawtooth brick course and with moulded work above. Gable end of hall range
has canted ground floor bay of c.1900. The hall has a moulded bridging beam
with run-out stops, arched-braced to the wall posts, and heavy joists, also
with run-out stops. Moulded and embattled girding beam set into the stack.
Fireplace lintol has similar decoration, now mutilated. Exposed first floor
studding with evidence for original windows. Plain crown-post roof, most of
the collar purlin now removed. Parlour contains typical work of c.1600, with
reversed bracing and an ovolo-moulded bridging beam to ground floor. Newel
stairs to first floor removed mid C20. Remains of medieval moat.

Listing NGR: TM2777474065

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.