History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Guildhall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Laxfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3015 / 52°18'5"N

Longitude: 1.3664 / 1°21'59"E

OS Eastings: 629622

OS Northings: 272380

OS Grid: TM296723

Mapcode National: GBR WMQ.Q9B

Mapcode Global: VHL9R.MFR0

Entry Name: Old Guildhall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180990

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280174

Location: Laxfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Laxfield

Built-Up Area: Laxfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Laxfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Laxfield

Listing Text

LAXFIELD THE STREET
TM 27 SE

9/54 Old Guildhall
-
29.7.55
GV II*

Former guildhall, the upper floor now used as a museum. Circa 1520, with
later alterations. Restored 1965-9. Timber framed; the facade has fine
exposed close studding with herringbone brick nogging; the remainder is
plastered, the main components of the frame also being exposed at the rear.
Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. The first floor is jettied along the
facade and left gable end, carried on plain brackets and buttress shafts.
The bressumer has embattled decoration. 6 windows, mid C20 square-leaded
casements. 2 mid C20 plank entrance doors with studded cover battens. The
right hand doorway has a gabled hood. Both doorways are reached by short
flights of steps. 2 internal stacks, the main one with a sunk panel in the
base. The structure is in 6 bays, although it is probable that a further bay
to the west has been lost. The 4 eastern bays on the ground floor formed one
large room, entered at its west end where the blocked front doorway can still
be seen. There is evidence for a projecting window to this room. On the
upper floor the 5 eastern bays originally formed a single room. Heavy plain
ground floor joists. Arched-braced and slightly cambered tie beams. Queen-
post roof. Main stack and newel stairs inserted c.1600; attic floor is later
C17.


Listing NGR: TM2962272380

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.