This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1592 / 51°9'33"N
Longitude: -2.0576 / 2°3'27"W
OS Eastings: 396071
OS Northings: 139998
OS Grid: ST960399
Mapcode National: GBR 2X8.8LZ
Mapcode Global: VHB5D.9435
Entry Name: Ashton Gifford House
Listing Date: 11 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313511
Location: Codford, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Codford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Codford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 93 NE/
ST 94 SE
4 & 7/38
ASHTON GIFFORD (south side),
Ashton Gifford House
Country house. Late C18. Limestone ashlar front, brick returns, flat roof with ashlar stacks. Three-storey, 3- window central block breaking forward with 2-storey same-height side-bays. Distyle in antis Tuscan portico to centre with inserted double half-glazed doors and flanking tripartite sashes, inner door with 6 fielded panels, fanlights and flanking margin-pane round- arched sashes with interlaced glazing bars, ground floor of centre block rusticated. First floor has three 9-pane sashes, second floor has plat band and three 6-pane sashes, two-storey side-bays have 8-pane margin sashes and plat band. Moulded cornice to plain stone parapet with C20 pineapples. Right return has C20 flat-roofed extension and fire escape (latter removed in 2010), not of special interest and margin- pane first floor sashes. Left return has French windows, 8-pane margin sash and C20 windows. Rear 2 central bays break forward with 12-pane sashes to ground floor, 9-pane to first and 6-pane sashes to second floor, side-bays have 8-pane margin sashes to ground and first floors.
Interior: central entrance hall with oval open-well staircase with continuous handrail and cast-iron balusters. Good joinery throughout including 6-panelled doors in panelled reveals and moulded architraves, window shutters. South east drawing room has scrolled plaster ceiling margin and white marble fireplace. Other rooms with plaster ceiling friezes and marble fireplaces.
It was used as a school from the 1940’s - 80’s.
Listing NGR: ST9607139998
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings