History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Harpsden, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.522 / 51°31'19"N

Longitude: -0.9011 / 0°54'3"W

OS Eastings: 476338

OS Northings: 180912

OS Grid: SU763809

Mapcode National: GBR C4Z.F0S

Mapcode Global: VHDWN.B0HK

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 9 February 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181036

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247096

Location: Harpsden, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Harpsden

Built-Up Area: Henley-on-Thames

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Harpsden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Henley on Thames

Listing Text

HARPSDEN
SU78SE
7/75 Church of St. Margaret
09/02/59
- II
Church. C12 with C14 windows. In 1848 Benjamin Ferrey lengthened the nave
and added the north tower and aisle. Henry Woodyer restored the chancel
in 1879. C20 school to south. Flint with stone dressing and windows; plain
tile roof. Nave and chancel with north aisle and tower. Early English style.
4-bay nave. Timber frame gabled porch with plain tile roof and C19 studded
door to left. 3-light Perpendicular window and trefoil-headed lancet to left.
Tower of 2 stages: single lancet to first stage; 2-light Early English louvred
opening to 2nd stage; plain parapet to pyramidal tiled roof with weather vane.
2-light and 3-light lancets to left of tower. Studded plank door to vestry
with 2-centred head. East window to chancel of intersecting tracery. South:
Four C19 Early English windows to nave, two Early English windows to chancel.
C12 round-headed doorway to nave. C20 school building attached to nave.
Interior: Romanesque font, round, with fluted decoration and cable-moulding.
Reset medieval brasses. C18 queen-post roof to nave.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.634).


Listing NGR: SU7633880912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.