This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7413 / 51°44'28"N
Longitude: -0.9359 / 0°56'9"W
OS Eastings: 473570
OS Northings: 205265
OS Grid: SP735052
Mapcode National: GBR C26.XW4
Mapcode Global: VHDVG.QHLH
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249133
Location: Towersey, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Towersey
Built-Up Area: Towersey
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Towersey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
TOWERSEY CHURCH LANE
SP7305 (East side)
8/119 Church of St. Catherine
Church. Early C13 chancel; mid C14 nave, tower and restoration of c.1850 by J.
Cranston. Coursed squared stone; C19 plain-tile roof; roof to tower not visible.
4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, transept recess to north, south tower. 2-centre
moulded stone archway to base of tower. 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould
and C19 plank door. 2-light Y-tracery windows with hood moulds to left and
right. Rear: 2-centre arched doorway with plank door to centre of nave. 2-light
Y-tracery windows to left and right. 3-light panel-tracery window to transept.
Lancet to chancel. 2-light reticulated-tracery windows to east end of chancel
and nave. 3-light intersecting-tracery window to west end. Tower of 3 stages.
Clock face to each side of second stage. 2-light Y-tracery louvred openings to
third stage; battlemented parapet with banded obelisk finials to corners.
Interior: C14 two-bay arch-braced collar-truss roof with windbraces to chancel.
Piscina to right of projecting bowl on a half-column. Segmental pointed chancel
arch. C19 braced collar truss roof to nave. Mid C17 hexagonal wood pulpit with
carved panels. C14 round stone font. Some C17 fleur-de-lys bench ends. History:
the clock in the tower was presented in 1877 from Thame Town Hall, where it had
been installed c.1777, having been originally at Rycote Chapel from 1577-1777.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.819; V.C.H.: Buckinghamshire,
Vol.IV, 1927, p.l06-7).
Listing NGR: SP7357005265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings