This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6384 / 51°38'18"N
Longitude: -1.1358 / 1°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 459903
OS Northings: 193642
OS Grid: SU599936
Mapcode National: GBR 90N.7P1
Mapcode Global: VHCYH.82FT
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181123
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248178
Location: Warborough, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Warborough
Built-Up Area: Warborough
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Warborough
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WARBOROUGH THAME ROAD
SU5993 (East side)
9/147 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. Early C13, C14 and C15; tower 1666; chancel restored 1881 by Bodley and
Garner. Clunch rubble and flint with limestone dressings; old plain-tile roof.
Nave, chancel, south transept, west tower and north vestry. C13 chancel has a
C14 east window, with Reticulated tracery, a C15 window of 2 cinquefoil lights,
to north, and a similar window, to south, between a 2-light C13 window, with
plate tracery, and a C13 doorway, with roll-moulded outer arch and detached
shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. South transept has a 2-light window with
Reticulated tracery. Flint-walled nave has segmental-arched windows with
Perpendicular tracery (one C19) and a south doorway with a moulded arch
sheltered by a C19 timber-framed open porch. Nave roof has 2 dormers with
elaborate C19 barge boards. 3-stage crenellated tower has walls of banded flint
and stone, with chequered Dctagonal corner turrets, and has 4-centre arched
openings with recessed spandrels and labels. West wall has 1666 in flushwork.
Interior: east window has detached jamb shafts, with stiff-leaf capitals, from
an earlier window, and there are remains of similar arcading in the south wall.
Nave and chancel have 7-canted coupled-rafter roofs, probably C14, and the
plastered tympanum, above the C19 chancel screen, is painted on the east with
C17 Prince of Wales feathers and the monogram "CP". Fittings include a small
octagonal C17 pulpit and a C17 parish chest. The Romanesque lead font has
arcaded sides and stands on a C14 stone base with traceried panels; the
strapwork cover is probably C17. Glass includes medieval fragments in the
chancel north window, 2 late-C19 stained-glass windows, and 3 early C19 windows
by A.J. Davies.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.821-2).
Listing NGR: SU5990393642
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings