History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chickering Corner Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hoxne, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3414 / 52°20'29"N

Longitude: 1.2363 / 1°14'10"E

OS Eastings: 620551

OS Northings: 276410

OS Grid: TM205764

Mapcode National: GBR VKV.1F3

Mapcode Global: VHL9H.CDXY

Entry Name: Chickering Corner Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181159

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281002

Location: Hoxne, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hoxne

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hoxne St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wingfield

Listing Text

HOXNE CHICKERING
TM 27 NW
3/61 Chickering Corner
Farmhouse (formerly
29.7.55 listed with Item Nos.
3/62 & 3/63 as Haywards
Farmhouse)
GV II*
Part of former farmhouse, now one dwelling. C15; extended north by one bay in
late C16. The surviving cross-wing of a substantial medieval house, possibly
the manor house of Chickering Hall. Timber framed, formerly plastered, now
mainly cement-rendered. Pantiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. East gable end
is jettied, with remains of buttress-shafts. Most of the windows are
mullioned, of mid C20 date. 2 C19 casements in east gable end. Mid C20
boarded door. The house also includes one bay of the adjacent range to the
north, rebuilt in C16 (q.v. Haywards Farm Cottage, Item No.3/62). This part
has a C19 doorway with half-glazed 4-panel door and bracketed hood. Internal
stack with plain shaft. Main ground floor room has heavy close studding and
closely-spaced plain joists. Buttress-shafted wallposts, both with carved
figures of good quality. On one, a seated woodwose; the opposite one has 2
huntsmen, one carrying a club, with a dog between. Both carvings are on
moulded stools, with moulded caps above. The middle rail and bridging beam
have substantial remains of a repeated 2-word inscription of C15 date in
Lombardic script. Good first floor studding, both the rooms entered via 4-
centre arched doorways. One room has a C16 window with cavetto and roll-
moulded mullions. In the east gable end are 2 later square panels, each
infilled with curved braces to form a geometric design. Evidence for original
doorway through to adjacent range. Each C15 wallplate has an edge-halved and
bridled scarf joint with undersquinted butts, c.O.3m long. Stack inserted
c.1600: 2 arched brick fireplaces, one on the first floor stuccoed; the other
first floor fireplace has remains of lining on the brick joints. Side purlin
roof of C16-C17 date. Newel stairs. In the section of the adjoining range
part of a plank and muntin screen and a little C17 panelling, both re-used.
Traces of surrounding medieval moat.


Listing NGR: TM2055476429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.