History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crowfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1767 / 52°10'35"N

Longitude: 1.1319 / 1°7'54"E

OS Eastings: 614232

OS Northings: 257780

OS Grid: TM142577

Mapcode National: GBR TL9.JZ8

Mapcode Global: VHLB6.KKQ7

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181164

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279636

Location: Crowfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Crowfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Crowfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

CROWFIELD STONHAM ROAD
TM 15 NW
3/17 Church of All Saints
9.12.55
II*
Parish church, medieval with major restoration of 1862 for the widow of Sir
William F.F. Middleton, Bart. of Shrub land Hall, Barham, in his memory. Nave
of random flint rubble with freestone dressings. Chancel timber-framed, the
framing in close-studding and fully exposed with plaster infill. Concrete
plaintiled roofs with C19 gable crosses; central over the chancel is a timber-
framed bell turret of 1862, with octagonal roof. Nave, chancel, south porch:
the north vestry was added 1862. The chancel, probably of early C15, is a
unique example in Suffolk with timber-framing: very plain workmanship in the
local vernacular style. A 2-centred arched doorway, square-headed windows
with traceried heads, arch-braced cambered tie beams, canted roof with boarded
soffit. The structure was entirely reassembled, and many components renewed,
in 1862. Other restored features of early C15 (or possibly late C14) include
north and south nave doorways and chancel arch. The nave was remodelled 1862
in the Decorated Gothic style; some C13 or C14 corbel stones are built into
the west wall, one being perhaps a lion's head and the other a wolf's. Fine
early C16 nave roof in 6 bays: two types of truss alternate; hammerbeam
trusses with posts omitted in favour of strongly curved archbraces; and
trusses with pendant posts having attached shafts, but no hammerbeams. Good
moulding and brattishing to main members, and restored mainly C19 angels.
Early C16 timber-framed south porch, with C19 restoration and flint rubble
infill; some good carving to the arch braces. C18 altar rails. A panel with
the Middleton coat of arms in the chancel. Furnishings of 1862.


Listing NGR: TM1423257780

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.