This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1921 / 52°11'31"N
Longitude: 1.2054 / 1°12'19"E
OS Eastings: 619186
OS Northings: 259716
OS Grid: TM191597
Mapcode National: GBR VMJ.KLD
Mapcode Global: VHLB7.V54C
Entry Name: Mill House
Listing Date: 22 September 1987
Last Amended: 25 July 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279660
Location: Framsden, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Framsden
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Framsden St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1897/4/41 MILL HILL
25-JUL-08 Mill House
(Formerly listed as:
FRAMSDEN MILL HILL
TM 15 NE
4/41 Old Mill House
A two storey house associated with the Grade II* post mill to the rear, of c.1836 and earlier, remodelled in later C19, rear extensions of the late C19 (with a gable roof) and C20 (with a flat roof).
Constructed of brick, apparently diapered but now over-painted, the house has a pantile-covered gable roof. The building contains remnants of a C18 or earlier timber-framed structure.
Truncated 'L' shaped plan, comprising a polite range to the front with a wide hall and staircase at the west side and a range of rooms at the east.
There is one external side stack and a chimney associated with the late C19 extension to the rear. The windows on the east and west elevations are C20 casements with segmented brick arched heads on the ground floor; the east elevation has a C20 casement in an inserted opening on the first floor. At the façade there are two eight-over-eight pane sliding sashes at ground and first floor; the central ground floor sash has six-over-six lights and is located at the position of the original front door, the latter being relocated to the east elevation of the late C19 extension.
On the ground floor, some bridging beams with wide chamfers and lambs-tongue stops and arched braces are located in the principal rooms. A probable early C19 staircase with stick balusters and a flat hand-rail leads to the first floor where the remains of a timber frame is apparent on the rear wall comprising pegged close studwork and a tie beam, the latter continuing along the length of the east elevation. Wide oak floorboards are apparent in the front first floor room and some C19 timber battened doors remain.
Mill House was always the residence of the mill owner. It forms part of the mill complex, which includes a former stable block to the east (now in use as a small museum) and a range of weatherboarded outhouses on the western boundary.Like the windmill itself, the house has evidence of refurbishment in c.1836, but contains some earlier timber-framing, suggesting that the original mill house is either contemporary with the post-mill (constructed 1760) or is of an earlier date. Extensions to the rear were added in the late C19 and C20. The original entrance door was centrally located at the façade, but this opening has been partially blocked and converted into a window opening. The façade projects forward from the corners with both the east and west elevation suggesting that the building has been refaced.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
Mill House is designated Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It contains the remnant of a C18 or earlier timber framed building on the ground and first floors.
* It retains much of its early C19 plan-form and historic features such as the staircase.
* It has group value with the Grade II* listed post-mill to the rear, with which it has historical functionality.
Listing NGR: TM 1918759716
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings