History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warborough, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6371 / 51°38'13"N

Longitude: -1.1338 / 1°8'1"W

OS Eastings: 460042

OS Northings: 193496

OS Grid: SU600934

Mapcode National: GBR 90N.865

Mapcode Global: VHCYH.93GV

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 14 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181422

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248222

Location: Warborough, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Warborough

Built-Up Area: Warborough

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Warborough

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Benson

Listing Text

SU69SW WARBOROUGH THE GREEN SOUTH
4/191 (South side)
18/07/63 The Manor House and attached
rear wall
(Formerly listed as The Manor
House)

GV II*

Manor house. 1696 on datestone, extended early C18 and late C19. Coursed squared
clunch rubble with red-brick dressings; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks.
2-unit lobby-entry plan extended to L-plan. 2 storeys plus attics. 6-window
front, with stepped brick plinth weatherings and windows with gauged-brick flat
arches and moulded-brick floating cornices, incorporates the earlier symmetrical
5-window range with central 6-panel door, 2-light leaded casements at ground
floor and cross windows at first floor, the central window narrower with
datestone above. Projecting cross wing, to right, is of similar character with 2
windows at ground floor and one above. Further entrance in angle of ranges.
Hipped roofs contain 4 hipped dormers; stacks rise in line with doorway and at
ends, that to left with 2 diagonal shafts. Lower brick C19 extension to left,
extended to rear in C20. Rear of original range has symmetrical arrangement with
cross windows at first floor but windows of 3, one and 3 lights at ground floor,
all with brick labels. Rear projection of cross wing has been cut off and built
up flush in brick. Interior: remains of 2 large open fireplaces with
moulded-brick backs, one curved; cross beams with elaborate chamfer stops;
open-well stair, with renewed balustrade, rising to attics; bolection fireplaces
in wing; clasped-purl in roof. Stone wall extending to rear from right end has 5
small triangular-headed recesses, possibly bee-boles, and has quin inscribed
"A. WHITE/ 1759". Datestone on front wall of house is inscribed H/WM for William
and Martha Harford.


Listing NGR: SU6004293496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.