History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Red House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hoxne, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3394 / 52°20'22"N

Longitude: 1.2103 / 1°12'37"E

OS Eastings: 618794

OS Northings: 276115

OS Grid: TM187761

Mapcode National: GBR VKT.6TV

Mapcode Global: VHL9G.XGQF

Entry Name: The Red House

Listing Date: 14 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181438

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281041

Location: Hoxne, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hoxne

Built-Up Area: Heckfield Green

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hoxne St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wingfield

Listing Text

HOXNE HECKFIELD GREEN,
TM 17 NE
WITTONS LANE
8/100
The Red House
II
Former farmhouse. C16, in 2 phases; late C19 and mid C20 alterations. Timber
framed, the front and right gable end cased in red brick in 1880's, dated in a
panel in the front gable with the initials 'AW'. Brick casing to rear added
in 1940's. Thatched roof. 2 storeys. A main range with cross-wing to left,
extending to rear. Set forward of cross-wing, almost corner-to-corner with
it, a C19 single storey outhouse. 3 windows, C19 3-light casements;
whitewashed wedge lintols. Mid C20 boarded and battened door in cross-entry
position, with a gabled hood. A second doorway into the cross-wing has a
matching door and hood. Internal stack between hall and cross-wing; external
stack against right gable end. Hall has closely-spaced chamfered joists, only
one bay exposed. Small remains of plank and muntin screen, in situ against
cross-passage. Straight stair of C19 or C20 date in cross-passage. Some good
first floor studding with reverse-curved braces. In the front wall, 2 blocked
windows with chamfered mullions. The cross-wing is later than the remainder
and seems to have been latterly used as kitchen and service rooms. Intact
studding; remains of at least 2 windows with square mullions. Over this wing
a clasped-purlin roof with cranked wind braces.


Listing NGR: TM1879476115

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.