History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Wharf and Attached Walls and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Warborough, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6284 / 51°37'42"N

Longitude: -1.1428 / 1°8'34"W

OS Eastings: 459429

OS Northings: 192527

OS Grid: SU594925

Mapcode National: GBR 90M.ZV8

Mapcode Global: VHCYH.4BPH

Entry Name: The Old Wharf and Attached Walls and Gates

Listing Date: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181476

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248233

Location: Warborough, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Warborough

Built-Up Area: Warborough

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Warborough

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Warborough

Listing Text

WARBOROUGH WHARF ROAD
SU5992 (East side)
Shillingford
11/202 No.35 (The Old Wharf) and
attached walls and gates

GV II

House. Early C18; part probably late C17. Coursed clunch rubble with brick
dressings; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks. 2-unit double-depth range with
cross wings. 2 storeys plus attics. Main range and projecting wing, to right,
have brick quoins, and some ground-floor windows have segmental arches with blue
headers; entrances in gable wall of wing and to extreme left of main range. Both
cross wings have rendered front gables. Left cross wing is probably late C17 and
has a stepped brick plinth; brick-quoined windows are mostly altered and now
have rendered surrounds. Rear part of wing is slightly later and has brick
quoins and timber-framed rear gable with brick infill. Central range has a brick
inscribed "RC 1726", and there is a Sun Insurance plaque. Ridge stacks on main
range are in line with entrance and towards right end. Interiors: large
back-to-back open fireplaces with chamfered bressumers and adjoining entrance
lobby. Rubble and brick wall returns from left wing along road and includes
brick piers with ball finials and wrought-iron double gates.


Listing NGR: SU5942992527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.