History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gosbeck, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.157 / 52°9'25"N

Longitude: 1.1426 / 1°8'33"E

OS Eastings: 615062

OS Northings: 255622

OS Grid: TM150556

Mapcode National: GBR TLJ.MPQ

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.R1DS

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279683

Location: Gosbeck, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Gosbeck

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Gosbeck St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Crowfield

Listing Text

GOSBECK IPSWICH ROAD
TM 15 NE
4/64 Church of St Mary
9.12.55

- II*

Parish church, medieval, with restorations of 1848 and 1883. Nave, chancel,
south-west tower/porch and vestry to north of chancel. Flint rubble with
freestone dressings. Machine-made plaintiles with parapet gable at chancel,
concrete plaintiles to nave. Long-and-short quoining to east end of nave,
possibly of C10 or Cll. The plain round-arched north doorway and nearby slit
window are perhaps contemporary. Late C14 or early C15 tower with moulded
doorway, and ogee-headed and labelled niche above; the inner doorway has its
original plank door; the parapets have flushwork panelling and pinnacles.
Restored mid C14 west window with net-tracery. A plaque on the north external
wall states "The Vestry and Chancel rebuilt 1848"; the former was rebuilt
using a Y-traceried C14 window, and medieval rubble walling remains at the
base. The chancel is in the style of c.1300, but perhaps entirely rebuilt.
Nave roof of c.1500 or early C16: 5 bays of simple moulded hammerbeam trusses
with arch-braced collars and short kingposts. At the base of the tower is an
iron-bound door. Five panels with painted tracery from a C15 rood screen are
mounted on the chancel wall. An arcaded oak pulpit of c.1620, almost
reconstructed 1883.


Listing NGR: TM1506255622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.