This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6131 / 51°36'47"N
Longitude: -1.1666 / 1°9'59"W
OS Eastings: 457803
OS Northings: 190804
OS Grid: SU578908
Mapcode National: GBR 90S.ZV1
Mapcode Global: VHCYG.QQM8
Entry Name: Church of St Agatha
Listing Date: 14 June 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249191
Location: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
Built-Up Area: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Brightwell cum Sotwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BRIGHTWELL CUM SOTWELL THE STREET
SU5790 (South side)
5/33 Church of St. Agatha
Church. C12 nave; early C14 chancel and aisles; tower rebuilt c.1797; nave
ceiled c.1815; church restored in 1858 and 1884; organ chamber added c.1903.
Coursed limestone rubble to chancel; pebbledash, probably on limestone rubble to
aisle and porch; uncoursed limestone rubble to clerestory; grey brick with red
brick dressings to tower; Welsh slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and west
tower. Studded plank door with wrought iron hinges to porch at right of aisle.
Porch has stone benches to each side. Two 2-light geometrical tracery windows to
aisle. Four 2-light stone mullion windows with trefoil lights and hood moulds to
clerestory. Plank door with wrought iron hinges to organ chamber at right of
chancel. 2-light geometrical tracery window to chancel. Tower of 3 stages to
right with flat brick band between each stage. Round-topped louvred openings
having wood Y-tracery to tops and round-arched brick heads with keystones and
stone imposts to each side of top stage. Plain parapet to roof of tower. Rear:
C19 restored Romanesque doorway with plank door to centre of aisle. Moulded
round-arched doorway with capitals to missing columns. 2-light reticulated
tracery windows to left and right of aisle. Four 2-light stone mullion windows
wih trefoil lights and hood moulds to clerestory. 2-light geometrical tracery to
left of chancel. 3-light reticulated tracery window to right return of aisle.
C19 3-light plate tracery window to east end of chancel, Interior; stone spiral
roof stairs to left of chancel arch. C15 collar braced roof to chancel. C15
lean-to roof to north aisle. C19 lean-to roof to south aisle. Ogee-headed C14
piscina and sedilia to right of chancel. Moulded beam with angle braces to
chancel arch. South arcade of three 2-centred arches on round piers. North
arcade of three 2-centred arches on octagonal piers. C19 font and pulpit.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol,III, 1923, p.468-70; Buildings of England; Berkshire,
Listing NGR: SU5780390804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings