History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade I Listed Building in Stockton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1433 / 51°8'35"N

Longitude: -2.0272 / 2°1'37"W

OS Eastings: 398196

OS Northings: 138221

OS Grid: ST981382

Mapcode National: GBR 2XH.B93

Mapcode Global: VHB5D.TJ5F

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313598

Location: Stockton, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Stockton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Middle Wylye Valley

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Chitterne

Listing Text

STOCKTON HIGH STREET
ST 93 NE
(south side)
7/125 Church of St John the Baptist
11.9.68
GV I
Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, early C14, C15 and C17,
1879 restoration. Dressed limestone with some flint chequers, lead
roofs with coped verges, Welsh slate chancel roof. Plan: west
tower, nave with aisles and north porch, chancel with north vestry.
Gabled C19 porch with chamfered pointed doorway, coped verge to
tiled roof. North aisle has cusped ogee-headed lancet to right and
chamfered lancet to west end, lean-to projection to left for
monument within church, plain cornice and parapet, cast-iron
rainwater goods dated 1879, east end of aisle has chamfered planked
C19 door, stepped 3-light C17 window with round-arched lights and
hoodmould. Chancel has segmental pointed north door with C19
ribbed door, diagonal buttresses and C19 plate tracery east window
with C14 mask terminals to hoodmould, heraldic crest and date 1840
over, south side has two C13 lancets. South aisle has C14 two-
light square-headed window with cusped ogee lights to east and west
ends, buttresses with offsets and two 2-light C14 windows to south
side, central 6-panelled door in pointed arch. Two stone memorial
tablets dated 1669 to Melior Benett of Pythouse (q.v. West Tisbury
CP) set in wall, 1622 tablet to Joahne(sic) Maton to left, cornice
to plain parapet. Nave clerestory has three 2-light square-headed
windows with cinquefoil cusping to north and south sides. Three-
stage west tower with pilaster buttresses, C19 pointed south
doorway, C19 west lancet, string course to second stage; pair of
C19 lancets to west and blocked chamfered light to north, rebuilt
bellstage with single lancet with wooden louvres to south, square
chamfered window to north and pair of lancets to west, moulded
string course with corner gargoyles to battlemented parapet.
Interior: Porch has C19 double chamfered pointed inner door, arch-
braced collar-rafter roof. Nave has 3-bay C19. king post roof with
V struts. Three-bay arcades with 2 late C12 double chamfered
pointed arches to west, on cylindrical piers with scalloped
capitals, south ones with beading or zig-zag ornament, early C14
pointed arches to east. Low C13 tower arch on half-piers, lancet
with splayed reveals above,looking into tower. North aisle has
baptistry at west end with mosaic floor and dado in memory of John
Barrington Yeatman died 1893, C12 cylindrical stone font with
scallops and good C17 wooden cover. South aisle has pointed
piscina incorporated into early C17 monument, C19 moulded
compartmental ceiling on stone corbels with Signs of the
Evangelists, restored moulded pointed C14 effigy niche in south
wall containing effigy of a lady on her side. Solid wall between
chancel and nave with central pointed low doorway, flanking
chamfered pointed squints, 1910 wooden screen designed by Bodley,
Garner and Hare and executed by Franklin of Oxford and Bridgeman of
Lichfield, given by the Bishop Worcester of Stockton House (q.v.).
One stone corbel from medieval rood retained to left of chancel
archway. Chancel has C19 plaster ceiling with wooden ribs and one
moulded tie-beam, painted frieze on foliated corbels, polychrome
tiled floor. Fittings: chancel fittings included C19 wooden
communion rail, C19 trefoiled piscina and tiled reredos, C17
communion table, good stained glass in east window to Corfe family,
1885. Nave fittings include C19 wooden pulpit with open arcaded
panels to match communion rails, cast-iron light fittings, 1746
Royal Arms, painted on board, over tower arch. Stained glass in
baptistry and east window of north aisle probably Flemish. South
east aisle window to Richard Nelsome died 1888. Piece of roof
timber on floor of south aisle inscribed with date 1757 and name M.
Fleming to record restoration of roof. Monuments. Fine collection
of C16, C17 and later memorials in aisles. South aisle: Jerome
and Elizabeth Poticary died 1590; two-panelled chest tomb with
strapwork cartouches and balusters, brass plates in moulded
surrounds above. 1708 marble cartouche to Henry Greenhill with
skull, putti, nautical instruments, urn and torch atop with cornice
set into wall above, by either Thomas Davis or Nost. Early C19
classical marbles to Pinchard family. North aisle: Fine
Elizabethan tomb to John Topp of Stockton House, died 1640 with 2-
bay arched recess with strapwork and floral carving, composite
coupled columns and cartouche and obelisk pinnacle over, containing
effigies of man and woman and back panels with kneeling children
and shell hoods. 1664 wall monument to Joannes(sic) Topp with
black Ionic columns and entablature with broken segmental pediment
and heralidic cartouche, good lettering. Gothic-style stone tablet
to Henry Biggs died 1800 and other family members up to Henry
Godolphin Biggs died 1877. White marble cartouche to Alexander
Topp died 1732. Chancel: marble tablet to John Terry, died 1625
and coloured stone cartouche with drapery, dated 1703 on north
wall. Large classical marble tablet with fluted pilasters, shaped
apron and obelisk with urn to Rev David Price died 1771; smaller
tablet to William Pinchard died 1815; C19 Gothic monuments to Rev
Roger St Barbe died 1854 and to Rev Thomas Miles died 1858, by
Osmond of Sarum.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Church
Guide)


Listing NGR: ST9819138220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.