This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3519 / 52°21'6"N
Longitude: 1.1661 / 1°9'57"E
OS Eastings: 615719
OS Northings: 277366
OS Grid: TM157773
Mapcode National: GBR VKK.FNJ
Mapcode Global: VHL9G.549W
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281083
Location: Brome and Oakley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Brome and Oakley
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Brome St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
OAKLEY OAKLEY CHURCH LANE
TM 17 NE
2/142 Church of St. Nicholas
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1876-8. Nave, chancel, west tower, south
porch, north vestry. Flint rubble, the north walls of nave and chancel
cement-rendered; stone dressings. Slated roofs. C14 tower with diagonal and
angle buttresses; string courses below belfry stage and parapet, the latter
with gargoyles at the angles. Crenellated parapet with flushwork panelling.
Restored 2-light west window; 2-light belfry openings. 2-bay C14 nave with
good C15 windows of 3 lights. Moulded C14 south doorway with stoup adjacent.
North doorway, probably of C15 date, now blocked. Good C15 porch of knapped
flint, with flushwork panelling to the facade and plinth. Entrance arch
enriched with fleurons and crowns; spandrels carved with shields of arms
within circles. Above is a row of quatrefoils and to each side canopied
niches. Paired 2-light parvis windows with central canopied niche between and
sundial above. Crenellated parapet. The side windows of the porch have re-
set fragments of medieval glass. C15 chancel with 3-light side windows and 4-
light east window, all much restored. Interior. C14 or C15 nave roof with
arch-braced tie beams and principal rafters; main components all moulded, with
fleuron bosses at the intersections. Rafters concealed by C19 boarding.
Chancel roof renewed c.1860. In north wall of nave are the rood stairs and 2
canopied image niches of C15 date. East bay of nave is slightly recessed; to
the south is a piscina and drop-sill sedilia. Trefoil-arched angle piscina in
chancel. Plain octagonal font on round stem against north nave wall. 4 C15
poppyhead benches at west end of nave. Other furnishings are C19, including, a
tile and mosaic reredos of 1882. In the chancel is a plain marble and
alabaster tomb chest for Sir William Cornwallis (1611).
Listing NGR: TM1571977366
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings