History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Charlton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5994 / 51°35'57"N

Longitude: -2.0605 / 2°3'37"W

OS Eastings: 395905

OS Northings: 188956

OS Grid: ST959889

Mapcode National: GBR 2QV.MVV

Mapcode Global: VHB38.72K6

Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist

Listing Date: 28 October 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315656

Location: Charlton, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Charlton (Brinkworth Ward)

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Garsdon Lea and Cleverton and Charlton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

ST 98 NE CHARLTON PARK STREET
(south side)

6/34 Church of St John Baptist

28.10.59

GV II*


Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 (north arcade), early C13 (west
tower and north chapel), C15 with mid C17 and further late C19
restoration. Squared and coursed rubble with stone dressings, some
dressed stone to chancel and north porch, ashlar battlements and
copings, stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle
and chapel, north and south porches. Nave south side has one 2-
light C15 window under flat head and a 4-light similar window with
hoodmould; east buttress with set-offs and embattled parapet.
Chancel has 3-light C19 east window with curvilinear tracery.
North chapel has pointed-arched C13 east window of 2 trefoil-headed
lights with quatrefoil above; 2-light C15 window to north wall.
North aisle has two C15 four-light windows under Tudor arches with
hoodmoulds; moulded string course and embattled parapet. Aisle
west window of 2-light is C15 but restored. Four-stage west tower
unbuttressed but with moulded string courses defining each receding
stage; canted staircase turret on south face and pierced
quatrefoil parapet with corner pinnacles, 3-light C13 style window
to first stage of west facade, single lancet openings on all faces
of second stage and 2-round-headed-light bell openings. Gabled C19
north porch. Gabled south porch with Tudor-arched entrance and
sundial above. Tudor-arched south doorway with plank door and
Decorated statue niche above; coved ribbed plaster vault.
Interior. 4-bay north arcade with circular piers, trumpet and
stiff-leaf capitals and round-headed arches. Flat rafter roofs to
nave and aisle. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Two-bay C19 arcade
to north chapel. Coved ribbed plaster vaults. on moulded wallplates
to chancel and chapel.
Fittings. Benefaction board under tower: 1706, Lady Winchcomb,
section of 1630 screen and 1891 stained glass west window. Nave
has late C12 font with hexagonal base and bowl with cable and
pellet moulding. Oil painting of the Virgin and Child above south
door; further painting of same subject to left of chancel arch.
Above C19 pulpit on nave south wall is the former carved backboard
of the Caroline pulpit dated 1630. This corresponds in style and
inscription to that at St Michael's, Brinkworth (q.v.). North
aisle west window has 1876 stained glass and north-west window is a
1941 memorial by G.E.R. Smith to the 20th Earl of Suffolk of the
Army Bomb Disposal Unit: inscription by John Masefield. Chancel
has late C19 stained glass. North chapel has large 1598 monument
to Sir Henry Knyvett and family: An eight-poster with strapwork
decoration to the tomb chest; recumbent stone effigies and
kneeling children. Adjacent to this monument is the organ encased
in sections of screenwork partly C15 and partly Jacobean/Caroline.
(Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of Engand: Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST9590588956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.