History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15 and 16, West Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Chichester, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8369 / 50°50'12"N

Longitude: -0.781 / 0°46'51"W

OS Eastings: 485934

OS Northings: 104856

OS Grid: SU859048

Mapcode National: GBR DGS.FCB

Mapcode Global: FRA 967W.KK3

Entry Name: 15 and 16, West Street

Listing Date: 8 October 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181636

English Heritage Legacy ID: 300274

Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Chichester

Built-Up Area: Chichester

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Chichester St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Chichester

Listing Text

WEST STREET
1.
972 (North Side)
Nos 15 & 16
SU 8504 NE 3/464
II
Formerly Oliver Whitby School founded in l702. Rebuilt in 1904; Sir
Reginald Bloomfield, archiitect. Red brick. 3 storeys. 9 window bays.
slate gabled roof. Cornice with modillions above 1st floor; moulded
cornice above 2nd floor. Centre bay projects forward with broken pediment
over 1st floor and smaller rectangular pediment flanked by ball finials
over 2nd floor. Pilasters flanking both windows, with entablature bearing
school motto "Vis et Sapentia" over 1st floor window. Tall sash windows
on 1st floor in arcading with keystones over; oval windows with keystones
on 2nd floor except in centre bay (which contains a sash window). Round
arched doorway in wide rusticated frame; keystone and cartouche (bearing
arms of Oliver Whitby, the founder of the school) flanked by swags over.
Ground floor on either side occupied by plate-glass shop fronts with large
flat hoods cantilevered over. The school was closed in 1950 when the
remaining body of pupils was transferred to Christ's Hospital.


Listing NGR: SU8593404856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.