This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1433 / 51°8'35"N
Longitude: -2.0298 / 2°1'47"W
OS Eastings: 398011
OS Northings: 138224
OS Grid: ST980382
Mapcode National: GBR 2XH.9N2
Mapcode Global: VHB5D.RJSD
Entry Name: Almshouses
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313608
Location: Stockton, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Stockton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Middle Wylye Valley
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
STOCKTON HIGH STREET
ST 93 NE
(off south side)
7/135 Nos 1 to 6 (inclusive)
Six almshouses. Founded 1641 by Topp family, built 1657.
Coursed rubble stone and dressed limestone in bands, Welsh slate
roof with coped verges and finials. Brick or stone stacks with
moulded cappings. Built around three sides of a courtyard with
wall and gateway on south side, side wings. Single-storey and
attic, 2-window south front. Central C20 double doors in
chamfered stone surround, 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casement either side; cast-iron casements throughout. Moulded
string course below eaves with heraldic cartouche over door, two
gabled stone attic dormers with 2-light mullioned casements.
Flanking wings each have two glazed doors and one 2-light mullioned
casement facing into courtyard, gable ends have one 2-light
mullioned casement and string course. Side wings have chamfered
doorways with C20 doors to front, left return of south wing has two
single-light casements to both floors, right hand wing has single-
light casements to ground floor only. Rear has glazed doors and
single-light casements, single-storey wing to right with C20
planked doors and 2-light mullioned casements. Interior altered.
Stone wall closing south side of courtyard has saddleback coping,
central semi-circular arched gateway with rusticated gate piers,
moulded cornice to top with finials and richly carved cartouche
with arms of Topp.
The Topp family were wealthy clothiers, John Topp built Stockton
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9801138224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings