This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2281 / 51°13'41"N
Longitude: -2.1951 / 2°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 386472
OS Northings: 147674
OS Grid: ST864476
Mapcode National: GBR 1TS.XH3
Mapcode Global: VH97G.WDXD
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313853
Location: Upton Scudamore, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Upton Scudamore
Built-Up Area: Upton Scudamore
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Upton Scudamore St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
UPTON SCUDAMORE UPTON SCUDAMORE VILLAGE
ST 84 NE
8/214 Church of St Mary the Virgin
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C18, restored 1855 by
G.E. Street. Rubble stone and dressed limestone, tiled roofs with
coped verges and cross finials. Nave, north chapel, chancel, west
tower and north porch. Gabled porch with C19 double chamfered
doorway and string course. Nave to right has restored lancet.
Early C14 north chapel to left has C19 group of 3 cusped lancets,
reset Medieval grotesque mask over west buttress, diagonal buttress
and 3 stepped cusped lancets to east. Chancel has C19 pair of
lancets to north, diagonal buttresses and C19 stepped lancets to
east, south side has 2-light plate tracery window and lean-to C19
vestry with tile-hung south side, 3 stepped wooden lancets to east,
cusped bargeboards. South side of nave has blocked 3-bay arcade
with plate tracery windows in right hand bays and-double chamfered
pointed doorway with planked door and rose window over to left hand
bay. Three-stage tower of 1750 has set-back buttresses, string
courses, C19 plate tracery window to ground stage, C18 semi-
circular headed leaded window to second stage and bellstage with
quatrefoil pierced louvres with clock face, C19 battlemented
parapet and string course, lead rainwater goods.
Interior has fine C12 north doorway within porch; attached shafts
with scalloped capitals to zig-zag moulded round arch, partly
restored, inserted pointed moulded doorway and cusped image niche
in tympanum. Stone benches and doorway to chapel. C19 four and
a half-bay nave roof with cusped arch-braced collar trusses, curved
windbracing. C19 double chamfered tower arch, good 1850s cast-
iron spiral staircase with raised and pierced decoration.
Scudamore chapel with 2-bay double chamfered arcade on cylindrical
pier with moulded capital; braced collar rafter roof; contains
two damaged effigies and a fragment of a carved Crucifixion, from
the demolished Crucifix Cottages, Norridge. Double chamfered
chancel arch with attached shafts, 3-bay cusped braced collar truss
roof, polychrome tiled floor and fittings by Street: sedilia and
piscina on south wall, organ case, choir stalls, communion rail,
altar, wall lights, C13-style rere-arches to east window with 1850s
glass. Other fittings: wooden pulpit on stone plinth by Street,
C12 cylindrical stone font with bands of lozenges and triangles,
Street cover, good pews. Monuments in chancel include a group to
Seaman family; marble to Lionel Archdeacon of Wells died 1760 by
Reeves of Bath, two C17 tablets to William and Lionel Seaman, brass
on north wall to Elizabeth Hungerford died 1632. Group of C18 and
early C19 marble tablets in Scudamore Chapel to Pearce family and
one to John Barton died 1783, by Reeves of Bath.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST8647247674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings