History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Mellis, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3257 / 52°19'32"N

Longitude: 1.0676 / 1°4'3"E

OS Eastings: 609136

OS Northings: 274168

OS Grid: TM091741

Mapcode National: GBR TJH.0QW

Mapcode Global: VHL9D.GS7Y

Entry Name: Hall Farm House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 17 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181726

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280308

Location: Mellis, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Mellis

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Mellis St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Mellis

Listing Text

MELLIS THE COMMON (NORTH WEST
TM 07 SE
SIDE)
3/20 Hall Farm House (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Mellis Hall and
Barn, Mellis Green)

GV II

Farmhouse. Mid to late C16, extended C17, altered and extended C19. Timber
frame, plastered. Steeply pitched pantiled roofs. An L on plan with broad 2
cells of cross passage, hall and parlour; service wing to rear. 2 storeys and
attic. Possibly jettied to front originally. Central entrance: 6 panelled
door, doorcase with fluted pilasters, roundels to open pediment. Parlour to
left has ground floor 3-light and first floor 2-light glazing bar casements,
hall to right has 3 and 4-light glazing bar casements, all C19 with
hoodboards. Boxed eaves. Left gable end first floor 3-light casement,
pentice board to attic with small casement, exposed plates and purlins. Right
gable end external stack in a c19 1 storey 1 bay addition with entrance
towards main range, 6-panelled door in an open porch with outer fluted jambs,
pedimental head, architraved 4-light glazing bar casement, hipped roof. Main
range to rear has a recessed boarded door opposite front door, 2 and 3-light
casements, an inserted stack in parlour on rear roof slope. Service wing
extends to rear right: lower ridge and eaves, multiform ridge stack towards
front, inner boarded door and 3-light C19 casements, outer half glazed door,
scattered casements, rear gable end exposed plates and purlins. Interior:
hall has a double roll moulded axial binding beam, parlour has wave moulded
joists, service wing has stop chamfered binding beams, otherwise frame
concealed and not inspected (said to have some panelling). A moated site.
(East Anglian Miscellany, 1913, pp.63-70).


Listing NGR: TM0913674168

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.