History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mellis, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.327 / 52°19'37"N

Longitude: 1.0728 / 1°4'21"E

OS Eastings: 609484

OS Northings: 274321

OS Grid: TM094743

Mapcode National: GBR TJH.21L

Mapcode Global: VHL9D.JSZ0

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280310

Location: Mellis, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Mellis

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Mellis St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Mellis

Listing Text

MELLIS THE COMMON (NORTH WEST
TM 07 SE
SIDE)
3/22 Church of St. Mary the
29.7.55 Virgin

GV II*

Parish church. Early C14, refenestrated in C15, altered c1735 with collapse
of west tower. Restored 1859 and 1900. Flint, largely knapped, some squared
and some flushwork, ashlar dressings, some red brick repair and cement
rendering. Slate nave roof, leaded chancel roof. Broad 4 bay nave with south
porch, shorter, lower and narrower chancel with north east vestry, ruinous
west tower. Chequerwork plinth to nave and porch. Nave to south has 3 large
3-light Perpendicular windows, brattished rectilinear tracery, segmental
pointed arches with hood moulds, string courses at sill and impost levels.
Full height 2 stage buttresses. South porch from west bay was 2 storeys: tall
outer entrance arch of 2 wave moulded orders, semi-octagonal moulded responds
with heavily moulded capitals and bases; impost string course, above a 2-light
traceried segmental pointed arched upper chamber window, 2 stage diagonal
buttresses, gargoyles at angles to plain rendered parapet. In returns are 2-
light openings with curvilinear tracery, that to west blocked, that to east
with a cusped quatrefoil. Inner entrance arch is heavily moulded, jambs have
slender shafts with capitals and bases. Nave to north is similar with a
continuously moulded pointed entrance arch in west bay, semi octagonal rood
stair projects to north east, string courses on nave to west, coped gable
parapets with a ridge cross to east. To west ruinous section of north and
south tower walls remain as buttresses to nave, a small gabled brick belfry on
ridge, tower arch blocked in snecked stone. Chancel: east end retains
flushwork plinth with cusped arched panels, C19 4-light east window, red brick
repair, plain parapet to shallow gable, 3 stage buttress to south east. South
elevation has a low door with a continuously moulded pointed arch, mask
stopped hood mould, towards west a simpler 3-light C15 window with ogee headed
lights, towards east a blocked window and flint and brick 3 stage buttresses.
North elevation has a blocked 3-light window with tracery as to south, cement
rendered lean-to vestry rebuilt in C19 with diagonal buttresses. Interior:
triple chamfered pointed chancel arch, semi-octagonal responds with large
capitals and bases, tall triple chamfered tower arch, semi-octagonal responds
with capitals and bases, blocked in C18 with rendered raised panels over a
round headed, boarded door. Angel corbels to 4 bay arched braced nave roof,
largely C19 with scissor bracing over collars. 4 bay chancel roof with
moulded arched braces to principals, brattished wall plates. Rear arches to
nave windows have engaged shafts with capitals and bases, string courses at
sill level. To north of chancel arch 2 centred arched rood loft openings. In
chancel a door to vestry with a double wave moulded arch, mask stopped hood
mould, to end of N wall is an Easter Sepulchre, 4 centred arch with roses and
carved spandrels, below five 4 centred arched niches partially blocked, to
east end of south wall a chamfered pointed arched piscina with a hexafoil
drain. Restored C15 font, octagonal, quatrefoils to plinth, 4 lions on stem,
angel corbels to bowl with Evangelists symbols and Tudor roses. Restored C15
rood screen, 5 bays, panelled dado with cusped tracery, richly traceried ogee
headed openings, shafts to ribbed coving. Early C17 communion table with
turned legs, 3 early C17 chairs, one with a relief scene of the sacrifice of
Isaac. In vestry, reused early C17 arched and strapwork panels on a cupboard,
an early chest with iron bands. Royal Arms of Charles I dated 1634 in former
tower arch. C19 poppyheaded bench ends, C19 choir stalls with vase balustered
frontals. In nave to south east a chest tomb to R. Yaxley, d.1570, ashlar
with moulded base and capping, 3 cusped lozenges with shields, brasses removed
from capping. Set on south wall a panel with arms in 3 lozenges. C15 glass
in nave south window, full figures of Saints and fragments. External monument
below windows on nave south wall, C18 and early C19 inscribed panels to
Bullock Family.


Listing NGR: TM0948474321

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.