History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Netherhampton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Netherhampton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.067 / 51°4'1"N

Longitude: -1.8436 / 1°50'37"W

OS Eastings: 411052

OS Northings: 129747

OS Grid: SU110297

Mapcode National: GBR 401.2Q4

Mapcode Global: FRA 7609.KJT

Entry Name: Netherhampton House

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181782

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319503

Location: Netherhampton, Wiltshire, SP2

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Netherhampton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Wilton St Mary and St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wilton

Listing Text

SU 12 NW NETHERHAMPTON NETHERHAMPTON VILLAGE
(north side)

4/122 Netherhampton House

23/3/60


GV II*

Detached house with rear wings. Second half of C17 with
alterations and additions of early C18 and Cl9. Ashlar and brick,
tiled roofs with brick stacks. L-plan with rear parallel range.
3-storey, 9-window symmetrical front facade is 1720's refacing in
ashlar of brick C17 house. Central door has 6 fielded panels and
rusticated surround with keystone, to either side are two
segmental-headed 12-pane sashes with keystones, and projecting
slightly to sides are two bays with two tall 12-pane sashes with
segmental heads and keystones. First floor has plat band and
central round-arched niche with rusticated surround, to either side
are two 12-pane sashes with segmental heads and to left and right
are two blind windows. Second floor has plat band and two sashes
either side of blind window; all sashes have original thick
glazing bars. Parapet to sides is swept up to central 5-window
range with 3 carved stone urn'finials. Right return is windowless
brick. To rear are outshuts to left with C20 windows to ground
and one 12-pane sash to first floor gable. To rear right is 2-
storey, 3-window west wing with C20 doors and casements to ground
floor and three 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars to first
floor; C18. North wing was service wing converted to
accommodation in late C19, 2-storey, 3-window range to left has 12-
pane sashes and canted bay windows to ground floor and three gabled
dormers half in roof. Single storey right range has 6-panelled
door and three casements. Left return is 2-storey, 10-window west
range and garden front of brick with some flint and stone chequers.
Flat-roofed single-storey projection to right has rusticated door
surround with segmental head, French windows and portico with
fluted Corinthian columns, probably moved from the front c1720.
To left is round-arched stair window, C20 French windows and two
12-pane sashes. First floor has nine 12-pane sashes with thick
glazing-bars.
Interior: Fittings mostly dating from c1720 include panelled
entrance and stair halls with ceiling cornices, newel stairs with
turned balusters. Drawing room with bolection-moulded dado
panelling, cyma-moulded cornice, marble fireplace with Grecian
women in panels on jambs of c1800. First floor east room has
bolection and fielded panelling to marble fireplace overmantel of
1720, ceiling cornice. 6-panelled or 2-panelled doors. Early
C18 garret stairs with turned balusters, square newel with ball
finial. History: In C17 house property of Wilton Estate and
occupied by Gauntlett family. The front facade and alterations of
c1720 are probably the work of Gauntlet Fry (died 1746); the
quartered arms of Gauntlett and Fry are on the overthrow of the
front gates. C19 panelling in the north range was brought from
Longford Castle c1950 by R. H. Julian, probably from Alexander's
north tower which was reduced in height at that date. House
divided into two in 1950's. (Unpublished records of RCHM
(England), Salisbury)


Listing NGR: SU1105229747

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.