History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Folly Farmhouse, Barn and Stable

A Grade II Listed Building in Corsham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4432 / 51°26'35"N

Longitude: -2.1741 / 2°10'26"W

OS Eastings: 387999

OS Northings: 171593

OS Grid: ST879715

Mapcode National: GBR 1R9.H4T

Mapcode Global: VH96B.8ZJJ

Entry Name: The Folly Farmhouse, Barn and Stable

Listing Date: 1 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315048

Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Corsham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Corsham

Listing Text

CORSHAM CHIPPENHAM ROAD (A4)
ST 87 SE
1/24 The Folly Farmhouse,
barn and stable
II

Farmhouse and attached barn and stable, C17 and C18, much restored
in C20. Rubble stone with stone tiled roof, ridge stack and 2 rear
wall stacks to main range, south end stack to south-west wing. Two
storeys and attic, 'L'-plan house with barn and stables at right
angles to main range. Recessed ovolo-moulded mullion windows with
hoodmoulds. Earliest part of house is apparenty 'L'-plan west
section with south 2-window range of small 12-pane sash and
hoodmould over 6-panel door with hood on brackets and 3-light
mullion window to right on each floor. Wing to left has east side
hipped dormer, first floor 3-light mullion window and ground floor
12-pane sash. West side of wing has upper 3-light, west end of
main range has 2-light to attic and first floor, 3-light to ground
floor. Rear has fine central curved stair tower with curved roof
and arched small single lights. Original 3-light to first floor
left, inserted flush cyma-moulded 2-light below. To right, 3-light
without hoodmould to first floor, probably an alteration, door
below in stone tiled lean-to. Range to east has south front hipped
eaves dormer and 2-window range of 3-light mullion windows and
hoodmoulds, all apparently C20. Rear has C20 projection with
curved north-east corner and single lights. Across east end is
barn and stable range. Barn at north end dated WS 1759 has coped
north gable, lean-to west side cart entry at south end, 2 rows of
vent loops and timber lintel to opposite east side entry. Three-
bay roof. HH 1768 and IH 1768 inscribed on cornerstones of east
side entry. Stable range to south has coped south gable, central
oval opening to first floor east side and ground floor door and 3
windows. Circular south end upper opening and door below in
chamfered surround.


Listing NGR: ST8799971593

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.