History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Long Thatch Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Newton with Dagworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2376 / 52°14'15"N

Longitude: 1.0013 / 1°0'4"E

OS Eastings: 605024

OS Northings: 264175

OS Grid: TM050641

Mapcode National: GBR SJ1.MZ6

Mapcode Global: VHKDH.91P0

Entry Name: Long Thatch Cottage

Listing Date: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181811

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280640

Location: Old Newton with Dagworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Old Newton with Dagworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Old Newton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Gipping

Listing Text

OLD NEWTON WARD GREEN
TM 06 SE WITH DAGWORTH

5/157 Long Thatch Cottage
-

-- II

House, early or mid C16: alterations of late C16, and probably 1681. One
storey and attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. Timber-framed and plastered.
Thatched roof with axial C17 chimney of red brick. Two eyebrow casement
dormers with leaded lights. Various windows, including some glazed diamond
mullioned windows and a large C20 bay with lean-to plaintiled roof. Open C20
plaintiled entrance porch with boarded door. Heavy C16 framing. The parlour
cell to left has massive unchamfered joists reused from a medieval house;
other medieval components include wallplates, posts and a few rafters. In the
hall is a mid C16 1st storey floor of heavy chamfered joists. Arch windbraced
studding. The service cell is slightly later, perhaps late C16. Studwork
with prominent reverse-arch windbraces; on-edge floor joists are a later
alteration. The internal plaster date 1681 appears to relate to the
rebuilding of the roof with clasped purlins and the construction of the
chimney with back-to-back open fireplaces.


Listing NGR: TM0502464175

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.