This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3487 / 52°20'55"N
Longitude: 1.3191 / 1°19'8"E
OS Eastings: 626155
OS Northings: 277483
OS Grid: TM261774
Mapcode National: GBR WM2.QBN
Mapcode Global: VHL9J.T779
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181830
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279970
Location: Fressingfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Fressingfield
Built-Up Area: Fressingfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Fressingfield St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 27 NE, 10/21
Church of St. Peter and St Paul
Parish church. Medieval; restored 1870 and 1888. Nave, chancel, north and
south aisles, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with stone
dressings; the side walls of the chancel are plastered. Leaded roofs.
C14 square tower in four stages, with crenellated parapet. 2-light belfry
openings. C15 aisles with largely original windows. The north aisle was
extended to the east in early C16 to form a Guild Chapel, re-using a doorway
and window of early C14 date from the chancel. 6-bay clerestorey with C15
2-light windows. At the east end of the nave roof an ornate original sanctus
bell turret. Fine south porch of c1420 with C19 restoration:
flushwork-panelled facade with enriched entrance arch; above are two Tudor roses in square
panels. 2-light parvis window flanked by empty canopied niches and 3-light
traceried panels. Stone parapet with quatrefoils and cresting. Tierceron
vault with carved bosses, springing from C19 corbels. Medieval nave door.
Early C14 chancel, considerably restored in C19: an original window to the
north and two C15 windows to the south. C19 4-light east window in
Perpendicular style, shafted internally with foliage capitals.
aisle arcades. Fine C15 single hammer-beam nave roof with a wide enriched
cornice. C15 arch-braced chancel roof. Much of the north aisle roof is
medieval: there are pierced spandrels and the wall posts rest on corbels carved
as heads. In the south aisle an ogee-headed cinquefoil piscina. In the
sanctuary an elaborate canopied piscina and triple sedilia, originally early
C14 but nearly all renewed late C19. Plain octagonal font of medieval date.
A very fine set of eighteen late C15 poppyhead benches, all with carved ends and
back-rests, and some retaining carved arm-rests. The two westernmost benches
have backs carved with twelve square panels, each to a different design. Some
other benches incorporate C15 carved components. Dado of C15 rood screen with
Listing NGR: TM2615577483
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings