History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Orcheston, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.21 / 51°12'35"N

Longitude: -1.917 / 1°55'1"W

OS Eastings: 405893

OS Northings: 145646

OS Grid: SU058456

Mapcode National: GBR 3Y6.24S

Mapcode Global: VHB52.QVD9

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319828

Location: Orcheston, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Orcheston

Built-Up Area: Orcheston

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shrewton

Listing Text

ORCHESTON ORCHESTON ST. MARY
SU 04 NE
(west side)
2/192 Church of St. Mary
II*
Anglican parish church. Mid-C13, tower c.1300, C16 chancel rebuilt
1833 during major restoration. Flint and limestone, Welsh slate
roofs. Consists of nave with south aisle, chancel, south-west
tower and south porch. Gabled porch of 1833 has diagonal
buttresses carried up to pinnacles, hollow chamfer Tudor-arched
door and pointed niche in gable over. To right, south aisle has
one 2-light ogee-headed window in square surround, east window of
aisle is c1400, pointed with 2 ogee cusped lights, string course at
eaves level and plain parapet with saddleback coping. Chancel has
hollow chamfer pointed priest's door, to left is 2-light C16-style
window and to right is single C16-style light, both with
hoodmoulds. To east 2-light Tudor-arched window with cusping and
hoodmould, with tall pointed niche to either side, north side
chancel has one lancet and one 2-light pointed window with
hoodmould. North side of nave has central 3-light C16 window with
interlaced pointed heads and hoodmould, to either side is 2-light
cusped window with dripmould. West end has 3-light C16 window with
hoodmould. Square 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, south
side has single lancet to ground floor and 2-light cusped lancet to
second stage, string course to bell stage, north and west faces
have blocked cusped lancets, south face has gilded clock face,
pitched roof.
Interior: early C13 inner door has continuous large roll moulding,
early C19 6-panelled double doors. Mid-C13 2-bay south aisle has
pointed arcade on cylindrical column and responds, double-chamfered
arches. 3-bay C13 nave has tie-beam roof with chamfered beams and
struts with cusping against principals, like lights. Double-
chamfered pointed chancel arch. Plain chancel rebuilt 1833, has
ribbed roof, east end has blind arches either side of window,
corresponding with external niches, and separated by attached
shafts. 1833 fittings include fine altar and octagonal font with
traceried panels, octagonal pulpit in same style. 1860s polychrome
tiled floor and pews.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)


Listing NGR: SU0585945665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.