History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stoke Ash, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2912 / 52°17'28"N

Longitude: 1.0999 / 1°5'59"E

OS Eastings: 611499

OS Northings: 270423

OS Grid: TM114704

Mapcode National: GBR TJX.8X5

Mapcode Global: VHL9M.0NSX

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281664

Location: Stoke Ash, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stoke Ash

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stoke Ash with Thwaite

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Mellis

Listing Text

STOKE ASH CHURCH LANE
TM 17 SW
1/79 Church of All Saints
29.7.55

-- II*
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1868. Nave, chancel, west tower, south
porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings and a roof of concrete plaintiles.
Red brick porch with clay plaintiles. Late C14 square tower with embattled
parapet; 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west. Moulded west doorway with
original doors; above is a renewed 2-light window and a small trefoil-headed
window at ringing chamber level. 2-light belfry openings. Beneath the
parapet is a string course with central gargoyles to north and south. Nave
has late C12 core: simple north and south doorways have rounded heads. To
north west, a restored 3-light early C14 window; the other windows, of 2
lights, in Perpendicular style, are largely renewed. Early C16 porch: moulded
entrance arch with shafted jambs, over which is a cinquefoil-headed niche;
restored arch-braced roof, substantially original. Chancel has C12 origins:
north wall has coursed rubble and a round-arched Priest's doorway. Early C14
north window with 3 graduated cusped lancets, 2 renewed C15 south windows.
Renewed 3-light east window in Decorated style. Interior. Trussed rafter
roof over nave with scissor-braced collars, C14 in origin with some later
replacement and possibly reconstruction. C15 arched-braced chancel roof in 3
bays, with short king-posts above the collars. All the principal components
are moulded, the collars and wallplates also embattled. Rafters renewed C19.
No chancel arch. Tall narrow tower arch. Original door to tower stair. Rood
stair in north east nave. Plain niche for piscina with drop-sill sedilia
adjacent. C14 or C15 octagonal font on chamfered square shaft. Early C17
carved pulpit. Benches of 1868. In north sanctuary, 2 early C18 tablets to
members of Bedingfield family. Over south doorway are the Arms of William IV,
dated 1836.


Listing NGR: TM1149970423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.