This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6816 / 51°40'53"N
Longitude: -1.5057 / 1°30'20"W
OS Eastings: 434273
OS Northings: 198205
OS Grid: SU342982
Mapcode National: GBR 6WX.J55
Mapcode Global: VHC0F.VZCS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250882
Location: Buckland, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Buckland
Built-Up Area: Buckland
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Gainfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BUCKLAND BUCKLAND PARK
Church of St. Mary
Church. Early C12 nave; Early English (c.1240) transepts, tower and chancel;
church rebuilt c.1240 in Early English style with late C18 windows. Coursed
limestone rubble, limestone ashlar walling; stone slate roofs, except lead to
nave and chancel; limestone ashlar stack. Cruciform plan with central tower.
4-light east window with triple chamfered architrave and chamfered mullions
running straight to top; corner buttresses; similar 3-light windows to 4-bay
south wall of chancel; 3 similar windows to north wall of chancel which has a
single storey vestry of c.1880 adjoining a 2-storey organ turret which has a
3-light window similar to the east window set over a moulded string course, and
an octagonal chimney. The south transept has similar 3-light windows to each
wall. The similar north transept has an east doorway with chamfered architrave,
a sundial dated 1707 and a datestone (1787) in the gable wall. The tower over
the crossing has two Early English lancets to each wall. The north wall of the
nave has a lean-to of c.1880, having two plain doorways with pointed arch and a
2-light window with pointed arches. The early C12 north doorway has a hood mould
with saltire crosses and two orders of shafts with scalloped capitals. Two early
C12 lancets, similar taller south doorway has original studded door with broad
crescent hinges. The C13 south porch rebuilt with statue of Virgin Mary in 1890.
Stair turret at junction of nave with south transept has one Early English
doorway with chamfered architrave and 3 small lancets. South wall of nave has
one early C15 three-light window, with carved heads to hood mould terminals;
also an early C12 lancet and a sundial dated 1741. Nave and tower have
crenellated parapet. Gabled roofs, except lean-to roofs over late C19 vestry and
addition to nave. Interior: Stained glass of east window by Henry Holiday
(1919), other stained glass in chancel is late C19; 5 early C14 heraldic shields
reset in wood frames beneath south windows. High altar and reredos by H.S.
Rogers, 1924. Piscina in south wall has alabaster carving depicting the
Adoration of the Shepherds, part of a C17 Italian reredos (Pevsner); the piscina
adjoins 3 stepped sedilia. Unusual triangular niche in north wall made for
William Hollcot, a lay preacher who died in 1570 and requested in his will for
his heart to be buried in this casket. Also in north wall is an early C14 tomb
recess in Decorated style with ballflower ornament etc. In the north wall
opposite is a fine late C13 tomb recess. Fine early C15 four-bay king-post roof
with arch braces from corbels to tie beam; large foliate roof bosses and
heraldic shields on cornice. Late C19 benches. All four triple chamfered arches
in the crossing, with foliate capitals, were inserted in 1890. The walls of the
south transept are decorated with brilliantly coloured mosaics, by Powell's and
dedicated by William West of Barcote Manor to his wife who died in 1888; stained
glass, fine carved benches, mosaic floor and roof with star spangled decoration
on a blue background were also part of the same scheme of decoration. North
transept has a piscina and also the jambs of early C13 lancets with original
coloured decoration in the west wall and north-west and north-east corners.
Three C17 funeral helmets on east wall. Elaborate black and white marble tomb of
Sir Edward Yate and his daughter d.1648 has a black marble inscription panel
with a strapwork and garlanded border; white marble inscription with some
detailing, the whole framed by a Corinthian aedicule with a segmental pediment
broken by a heraldic crest. Memorial to Sir John Yate, d.1658, has black
inscription tablet framed by black marble Ionic columns; between the white
marble consoles is a garlanded predella and the memorial is surmounted by a
scrolled broken pediment with heraldic crest, Brass to John Yate d.1578 and his
wife. with heraldic shields in the 4 corners and their sons and daughters
depicted below. On the floor is a C14 marble slab with the matrix of an
elaborate cross and border inscription. C13-C14 iron-bound chest. C17 two-bay
roof has 3 collar trusses with butt purlins. Nave has mid C18 box pews, an early
C14 octagonal font with quatrefoils and blind window tracery in alternate
panels; Jacobean hexagonal pulpit with Ionic pilasters at angles and unusual
rusticated arches carved in perspective; Jacobean balustrade to tower gallery
has keyed arches and turned balusters; memorial to Elizabeth Perfect, d.1802 by
Coade and Seely, features a weeping putto beside an urn. Graded I for medieval
wall paintings and other fittings.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.103-5; V.C.H.i Berkshire, pp.458-60: H.T.
Morley, Monumental Brasses of Berkshire, 1924, p.61).
Listing NGR: SU3426598205
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings