This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6019 / 51°36'6"N
Longitude: -1.122 / 1°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 460904
OS Northings: 189595
OS Grid: SU609895
Mapcode National: GBR 911.K53
Mapcode Global: VHCYH.HZPV
Entry Name: Remains of St Nicholas's College
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181912
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249219
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD CASTLE LANE
SU6089NE (West side)
10/60 Remains of St. Nicholas's
Ruins of walls. Probably C13 with C15, C16 and later alterations. Uncoursed
limestone rubble. L-shaped wall. Long stroke of L approx. 25m. long and 10m.
high. Short stroke of L approx. 15m. long and of varying height. 2-centre
archway to short stroke. Irregular fenestration of mostly damaged openings. C19
outbuilding attached to north side. History; Wallingford Castle was begun in 1067
by order of William the Conqueror; supervised by Robert D'Oyley. Motte and
Bailey castle completed in 1071. Castle expanded in C13 under King John, and
King Henry III, when it was held by Richard, Earl of Cornwall. In 1307 the
castle and town were given by Edward II to Piers Gaveston, created Baron
Wallingford. In 1335 Edward III gave the castle to his son Edward. the Black
Prince, Duke of Cornwall, who spent large sums on repairs and improvements. Held
during most of C15 by Chaucer and de la Pole families of Ewelme. By 1540's the
castle had fallen into disrepair and stone was being used for other buildings in
the town. During the Civil War it was fortified as a Royalist stronghold.
Charles I inspected the new works in 1643. Siege of Wallingford in 1646 when
colonel Blagge was besieged for 16 weeks by Cromwell's troops. On 17th November
1652 Cromwell's Council of State ordered its demolition. This fragment
traditionally thought to form part of St. Nicholas's College, the King's Chapel
in the Castle. The Castle area is scheduled as an ancient monument.
(V.C.H. : Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.523-531; "Wallingford Castle, a brief
guide", 1984; Buildings of England: Berkshire, 1966, p.248).
Listing NGR: SU6089889598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings