This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1872 / 51°11'13"N
Longitude: -1.8962 / 1°53'46"W
OS Eastings: 407349
OS Northings: 143115
OS Grid: SU073431
Mapcode National: GBR 3YF.FFS
Mapcode Global: VHB59.2FX7
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 18 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319833
Location: Shrewton, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Shrewton
Built-Up Area: Shrewton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SHREWTON AMESBURY ROAD, Rollestone
SU 04 SE
(off west side)
3/225 Church of St. Andrew
GV II* -
Anglican parish church. Early C13 nave, mid-C13 chancel,
restoration of 1845. Limestone and flint chequers, tiled roof with
coped verge to west, timber bellcote. Consists of nave, small
chancel, south porch and bellcote over west end. Gabled south
porch has coped verge to tiled roof, C19 Tudor-arched doorway has
hoodmould with foliated terminals. To right is large 4-light
Perpendicular window of c1500 with hoodmould with carved head
terminals, east gable of nave has cusped wooden barge boards.
South side of chancel has single lancet, east end has C19 2-light
pointed window with hoodmould and small lancet over, north side has
single lancet with hoodmould. North side of nave is rendered and
has one fine 3-light Perpendicular window of c1400, with hoodmould
and carved head terminals, to right is blocked chamfered pointed
doorway. West end has one 2-light C16 window with cusped lights
and square head, above is one small lancet.
Interior: Plain plastered walls and stone floor. Nave has very
shallow pitched ceiling on C16 cambered moulded beams, chancel has
pointed barrel-vaulted roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch on C19
carved head corbels. Fine fittings include early C13 cylindrical
font with Cl7 crown cover, C17 pews have wainscot-panelled backs,
Cl7 bench ends with fine strapwork and reeded decoration and semi-
circular heads were brought here from St. Catherine at Haydon in
Dorset in 1981. C17 communion rails with turned balusters.
Heraldic stained glass is said to be Cl7. (N. Pevsner, Buildings
of England: Wiltshire, 1975. Unpublished records of RCHM
Listing NGR: SU0734943115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings