This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7761 / 51°46'34"N
Longitude: -1.2372 / 1°14'14"W
OS Eastings: 452723
OS Northings: 208881
OS Grid: SP527088
Mapcode National: GBR 8YS.L16
Mapcode Global: VHCXN.HMS8
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246653
Location: Old Marston, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3
Civil Parish: Old Marston
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MARSTON ELSFIELD ROAD
SP50NW (North side)
4/133 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. C13; externally C15 and Cl6. Limestone rubble and ashlar; stone-siate
and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. C15 chancel,
with moulded plinth, has side windows of 2 cinquefoil lights under labels with
carved square stops, a Tudor-arched priests door with carved foliage in the
spandrels, and a 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. The south
aisle, with steep-pitched roof, was rebuilt in 1562 and has a moulded string
under the eaves, a re-set C15 window in the ashlar south wall, and 2 uncusped
2-light windows. The porch has a 4-centre arched entrance, with wrought-iron
gates, and shelters a re-set Decorated doorway. The manopitch-roofed north aisle
has 2-light windows and, to east, 3 graduated cinquefoil lights. Clerestory has
2-light windows. C15 tower has 2-light belfry openings and corner gargoyles
below a crenellated parapet; 3-light west window has Perpendicular tracery.
Interior: C13 chancel arch and nave arcades of 4 bays to north and 3 to south.
Chancel has elaborate C19 arch-braced collar-truss roof; C15 nave roof has
cambered tie beams and moulded purlins; north aisle roof is of similar
character; 5-bay south aisle roof has queen-post trusses, moulded tie beams and
curved windbraces; porch has coupled-rafter roof. Medieval encaustic tiles in
chancel floor. Fittings include many C15 and C16 bench pews in nave, and return
stalls in chancel with medieval poppy-head bench ends; C17 communion table and
turned rails; C17 hexagonal pulpit on single stem with arched panels and tester;
C17 screen in tower arch with pierced flat balusters. Stained glass includes
many C15 fragments in the heads of lights and some old geometrical glazing in
one chancel light, plus C15 panels inserted into east window. Traces of medieval
wall painting over the chancel arch. Monuments include a large alabaster wall
monument to Richard Croke (died 1683) with an elaborate frame and double
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire, Vol.V.; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.699-700).
Listing NGR: SP5272208881
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings