History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Elmswell, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.235 / 52°14'6"N

Longitude: 0.902 / 0°54'7"E

OS Eastings: 598262

OS Northings: 263616

OS Grid: TL982636

Mapcode National: GBR SHX.T1P

Mapcode Global: VHKDF.L27Y

Entry Name: The Almshouses

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Last Amended: 9 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1181926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281131

Location: Elmswell, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Elmswell

Built-Up Area: Elmswell

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Elmswell St John the Divine

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Elmswell

Listing Text


TL 96 SE ELMSWELL CHURCH ROAD

5/28 Nos. 1 to 3 (consec) The
15.11.54 Almshouses (formerly
listed as Elmswell Hill
Almshouses)
GV II

Terrace of 3 cottages. Built as 6 almshouses, c.1614 for Sir Robert Gardener.
Narrow red/buff bricks, with parapet gables. Slated roof: two internal
chimneys of red/buff bricks with sawtooth shafts and a similar chimney rising
from apex of each gable. One storey. 6 windows. Two-light mullioned windows
with plastered surrounds in simulation of ashlar work. An ovolo-moulded label
at the head: C20 steel casements with leaded lights. A central entrance
doorway: plastered outer frame with cambered head and heavy wooden inner
frame, and C18/C19 boarded door. A pair of doorways to each of the end
cottages: plaster-work and label to match windows. Flat chamfered head
supported by heavy wooden frame. The right-hand pair of doors are of battened
plank form and may be original. The left-hand pair of boarded doors are
unoriginal: one blocked, the other C18/C19. Over the central doorway is a
gable, within which is a square sundial. Beneath the sundial is a square
limestone panel inscribed: "SIR ROBERT GARDENER KT. SOMETIME LORD OF THESE
MANORS OF ELMSWELL AND WOLPIT FOUNDED THIS ALMSHOUSE IN YE TIME OF HIS LIFE
ANĀ° 1614 AND GAVE UNTO IT SUFFICIENT MAINTENANCE FOR SIX POORE WOMEN WIDOWS TO
CONTINUE FOR EVER".


Listing NGR: TL9826263616

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.