This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3324 / 51°19'56"N
Longitude: -1.8783 / 1°52'41"W
OS Eastings: 408574
OS Northings: 159264
OS Grid: SU085592
Mapcode National: GBR 3WP.KXL
Mapcode Global: VHB4J.DRCY
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1181938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311905
Location: Beechingstoke, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Beechingstoke
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 05 NE
3/1 Church of St Stephen
Anglican parish church, probably late medieval with work of 1693 to
nave, 1791 to chancel, heavily restored 1861-9 by S.B. Gabriel of
Bristol. Malmstone with limestone ashlar, ashlar quoins, plinth
and eaves. Stone slate roof. Short nave, chancel, and south
porch. Square headed windows, the tracery replaced in 1861 with
pointed lights with quatrefoil heads. Two pointed headed west
windows linked by hoodmoulding, and rose window over. Three light
east window. South porch has narrow twice chamfered arch and
medieval chamfered inner doorway. Corresponding door on north
blocked. Gabled bellcote with twin C17 bells, and iron wind vane.
South door to chancel has Tudor shaped head and incised date, 1791
CM (Charles Mayo, rector). Various graffiti on quoining dated
1717, 1709, 1727 etc. and 2 mass dials reset on north side.
Datestone on east gable of nave reading 1693. Benchmark on north-
east angle of chancel.
Interior: Nave of 3 bays, open arch braced collar roof on stone
corbels. Chancel arch C14 full width of chancel, the latter with
scissor framed roof. Credence shelf in niche on north side.
Painted inscriptions over chancel arch and under east window.
Tiled floors, with 3 steps to altar. Glass by Wailes and Powell,
1848. Fittings: Pulpit, limestone, arcaded, with marble
colonettes, 3 steps from chancel. Font, 1861, white limestone, a
carved octagonal bowl on purbeck columns around a central stem.
Monuments: Chancel, 3 wall tablets. On north, gabled white marble
tablet on black, to Rev John Mayo, died 1779. South: White marble
tablets with shaped tops, to Ann Sanders, died 1798, with Jane
Mayo, died 1802, and Barbara Mayo, died 1796. Furniture: A small
early C18 oak chest.
Listing NGR: SU0857459264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings