History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cuxham Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Cuxham with Easington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6525 / 51°39'8"N

Longitude: -1.0349 / 1°2'5"W

OS Eastings: 466861

OS Northings: 195294

OS Grid: SU668952

Mapcode National: GBR B1X.958

Mapcode Global: VHDVT.0QQL

Entry Name: Cuxham Mill

Listing Date: 3 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248924

Location: Cuxham with Easington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cuxham with Easington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cuxham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuxham

Listing Text

CUXHAM WITH EASINGTON CUXHAM
SU6695
12/78 Cuxham Mill

GV II


Mill and millhouse. Mid C18, possible earlier origins. Flemish bond brick with
flared headers; gabled old tile roof; brick ridge stack. 4-unit plan. 2 storeys;
4-window range of scattered fenestration. Segmental arches over 2-panelled
stable door and C20 doors in outer bays. Segmental arch over 2-light casement to
right; flat brick arches and timber lintels over 2-light casements including 2
leaded casements to left. Left gable wall has plank loft door to granary.
2-storey rear block of coursed chalk rubble with brick dressings, gabled old
tile roof and brick lateral stack. Interior: iron overshot wheel to left of
central entry. Round-arched fireplace in rear right room. Winder stairs at
junction with rear wing. Old purlins in roof. The rear block may be an earlier
mill building. The mill on this site was one of 3 Cuxham mills mentioned in
1086, and was given to the Prior of Wallingford before Merton College, Oxford,
acquired the manor in 1268-71.
(P.D.A. Harvey, A Medieval Oxfordshire Village, Cuxham, 1240-1400, 1965).


Listing NGR: SU6685795298

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.