This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6009 / 51°36'3"N
Longitude: -1.1222 / 1°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 460893
OS Northings: 189483
OS Grid: SU608894
Mapcode National: GBR 911.K38
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.H1L2
Entry Name: Calleva House
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249240
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD HIGH STREET
SU6089SE (South side)
11/94 No.6 (Calleva House)
House, now shop. Early C18. Red brick plinth; grey brick with red brick
dressings; old plain-tile roof; brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Baroque style.
3-storey, 5-window range. Steps to central 8-panel part-glazed door with painted
fluted Doric pilasters supporting frieze with triglyphs and floral metopes and
segmental pediment with recessed centre. Rubbed brick piers to left and right of
centre, and to left and right end. Segmental-topped windows to left and right
with segmental brick heads; originally 24-pane sashes with bottom sash opening
dropped into plinth. Painted moulded brick band between ground and first floor.
Rubbed brick Doric giant order pilasters to first and second floor left and
right of centre, and left and right ends. 24-pane segmental-topped unhorned
sashes with thick glazing bars, half-H aprons with guttae, and segmental brick
heads with projecting brick voussoirs to first floor. Shaped brick band between
first and second floors. 16-pane segmental-topped unhorned sashes with thick
glazing bars, half-H aprons with guttae, and segmental brick heads with shaped
brick keystones to second floor. Dentilled brick cornice and C20 brick parapet
to eaves. Rear: sashes to most openings with 24-pane round-topped unhorned sash
to staircase window. Interior: open-well staircase with landings to rear centre.
Balustrade of fluted and barley-sugar balusters with Corinthian fluted columns
to corners, and shaped hand rail. Fielded panelling with Corinthian pilasters to
dado with shaped top. Panelled reveal to staircase window with arched and
pilastered surround. Fielded panelling to ground floor left and right front and
to first floor left and right front. Early C18 plain stone fireplace surrounds
to ground and first floor front rooms. Panelling to first floor rear right. One
wall of panelling to first floor rear left. Early C18 plain wood fireplace
surrounds to first floor rear rooms. Decorative plaster ceiling to ground floor
right with oval-decorated band and central rose. History: said to have been
built for William Hucks M.P. (d.1734).
(Historic Wallingford, a walk-round Guide; J. and S. Dewey, 1982; V.C.H.:
Berkshire, Vol.S, 1923, p.520).
Listing NGR: SU6089389483
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings