This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2524 / 52°15'8"N
Longitude: 1.1024 / 1°6'8"E
OS Eastings: 611860
OS Northings: 266113
OS Grid: TM118661
Mapcode National: GBR TK9.PKG
Mapcode Global: VHL9T.2N55
Entry Name: Seamans
Listing Date: 14 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281691
Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD BROCKFORD, NORWICH ROAD
TM 16 NW
Former farmhouse. C16-C17, in several phases. Late C18 alterations, probably
of 1786 as dated at rear. A main range with projecting cross-wing to right
and matching projecting wing to left. Timber framed and plastered, with a
coved eaves cornice. Roof of concrete pantiles, hipped over the ends of the
wings. 2 storeys and attic. C19 and C20 casement windows, small-paned to
recessed centre, large-paned to projecting wings. To left of doorway, an
ovolo-mullioned window of c.1600; another opposite is blocked and visible
internally. Late C18 doorway: moulded architrave, frieze and pedimented
cornice; 6-panel door, the upper 2 panels glazed. Stack in main range has
rebuilt shaft; an external stack at the left gable end has narrow C17
brickwork, the top rebuilt. At rear, an oval plastered panel inscribed 'J.S.'
and the date 1786. Interior. Left wing has good heavy studding with 2
blocked diamond-mullioned upper windows; closely-spaced chamfered joists in
ceiling of ground floor room. This range may have been end-jettied to road,
the gable end apparently cut back on upper floor and the roof reconstructed.
Main range in 4 bays: studding quite widely-spaced, heavy C16 joists exposed
in one bay on ground floor. Blocked hall fireplace, the lintol with moulded
soffit. Side purlin roof, probably C17. Right wing, probably the last phase,
has queen-post roof, the timbers below mostly concealed. Late C18 fireplace
has eared surround and frieze with shaped ends; contemporary corner cupboard
with keyed head and fluted pilasters.
Listing NGR: TM1186066113
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings