History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yew Tree Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Chirton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3193 / 51°19'9"N

Longitude: -1.8952 / 1°53'42"W

OS Eastings: 407401

OS Northings: 157806

OS Grid: SU074578

Mapcode National: GBR 3WW.7P0

Mapcode Global: VHB4Q.33GF

Entry Name: Yew Tree Cottage

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182233

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311966

Location: Chirton, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Chirton

Built-Up Area: Chirton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Chirton and Patney St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Urchfont

Listing Text

CHIRTON PATNEY ROAD
SU 05 NE
(east side)
3/62 No 4, (Yew Tree Cottage)
19.3.62
II
House, possibly former vicarage. Timber framed and painted
roughcast, thatched roof. Single storey and attic, 4 bays,
comprising wider block gable end to road of 2 bays with central
stair hall, flanking drawing room and parlour, and to rear, kitchen
with stack on gable, and two timber framed bays, C17, with early
C19 lean-to to rear, comprising library and second room in end bay,
formerly outbuilding. Entrance now in lean-to to rear, and former
entrance in half-round thatched porch to through hall. Paned
timber windows.
Interior: Stair early C19. Parlour to west remodelled early C19,
with large bay window with shutters and reeded architrave to
garden, and smaller bow window to gable end. C19 fireplace in C20
Georgian style surround. Drawing room has good early C17 oak
panelling, chamfered spine beam, and fine C19 cast iron fireplace
and surround. In timber framed section library formerly divided
longitudinally with partition and spine beam with check and scoop
stops. Kitchen to rear had oven in large fireplace. On first
floor, carved C17 bracket in end bay. House is possibly that
referred to in 1677 as vicarage, and in 1783 as being timber
framed.
(V.C.H. x., p.70).


Listing NGR: SU0740157806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.