This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7803 / 51°46'48"N
Longitude: -1.1637 / 1°9'49"W
OS Eastings: 457793
OS Northings: 209396
OS Grid: SP577093
Mapcode National: GBR 8YW.6MH
Mapcode Global: VHCXP.SJ53
Entry Name: Rectory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 5 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182251
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246680
Location: Stanton St. John, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Stanton St. John
Built-Up Area: Stanton St John
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton St John
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANTON ST. JOHN MIDDLE ROAD
SP5ONE (East side)
5/160 Rectory Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C16/early C17 and mid/late C17. Limestone ashlar and rubble;
concrete plain-tile roof. L-plan. 2 storeys plus attics. Symmetrical 3-window
front , with chamfered plinth, has a central 4-centre arched doorway with
recessed spandrels below a 2-light window; outer bays have 4-light windows at
ground and first floors. All windows have ovolo-moulded stone mullions and some
have leaded lights; ground-floor openings have labels. Roof has one gabled roof
dormer, to left, and flanking stone gable stacks with projecting weatherings.
Left gable wall has single-light moulded-stone windows, and returns to 2-window
rear wing, with further 2- and 3-light mullioned windows with labels, extended
by a lower rubble range with a 4-light leaded casement. Rear of main ranges have
similar mullioned windows and there is a blocked doorway opposite the main
entrance. Interior: Timber-framed partitions with richly-moulded 4-centre arched
doorways with recessed spandrels and elaborate chamfer stops; 2
similarly-moulded Tudor-arched fireplaces and other plainer stone fireplaces; 2
winder stairs rising to attics; bolection-mould grained panelled room; large
open fireplace in C17 kitchen wing with very wide chamfered bressumer;
butt-purlin roof. Main doorway shows some evidence of re-location and may have
been originally in the return front, opening into the lobby in line with the
second winder stair. The present entrance hall was formerly a through passage.
Over the doorway is a plaque recording the birth there of John White (1575-1648)
"Chief founder of Massachusetts, New England".
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p,283; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.785).
Listing NGR: SP5779009395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings