History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chestnuts

A Grade II Listed Building in Walsham-le-Willows, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3036 / 52°18'12"N

Longitude: 0.9364 / 0°56'10"E

OS Eastings: 600297

OS Northings: 271334

OS Grid: TM002713

Mapcode National: GBR SH5.HKD

Mapcode Global: VHKD2.5CWF

Entry Name: The Chestnuts

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281821

Location: Walsham-le-Willows, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Walsham-le-Willows

Built-Up Area: Walsham Le Willows

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Walsham-le-Willows St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text

TM 07 SW WALSHAM LE WILLOWS THE STREET (NORTH SIDE)

3/76 The Chestnuts

15/11/54
II

House. Circa 1600 and early C18, with later extensions. Timber-framed and
rendered; old plaintiles; colour-washed brick gable-end on south with tumbling
to apex; complex rear. 2 storeys and attic to main range; 3-cell form. One
internal and 2 end chimney stacks, all with plain red brick shafts; modillion
cornice. 3 flat-headed C18 dormers with 2-light square-leaded casement
windows. Various casement windows, 2-light and 3-light, all with transomes,
some old; 2 single-light windows to the upper floor also. 6-panel door with
raised fielded panels, the top 2 glazed, in a moulded surround with flat
pediment. Interior in 2 distinct sections. To the right of the entrance
door, 2 bays of C16 timber-framing: boxed-in beam below, exposed studding
above, with slides for diamond-mullioned windows; roof with clasped purlins
and arched windbraces. The chimney-stack relating to this part was removed to
create an early C19 hallway and stair, and the present internal stack is a
smaller reconstruction using old bricks. A change in floor-levels and roof-
type marks the join with the remainder of the frame, an addition/part
replacement of the early C18. A section of splat balusters, presumably from
the original stair, reused for the back staircase; the main stair has stick
balusters and a wreathed handrail. 2 fine cast-iron grates have been brought
from elsewhere. On the rear wall at the left end, now enclosed by later
extensions, some good comb pargetting in panels. Roof over this part has
slightly stepped butt purlins. At rear, a small 1½-storey timber-framed and
rendered wing has an original 3-light early C18 casement window with transome,
pintle hinges and square leaded panes, now inside part of the rear extensions.
To the right of this wing (facing from rear), a single-storey brick and
rendered gabled wing with a very tall bottle-shaped end chimney-stack; to the
left a wide brick wing, formerly detached, now linked to the back wall. The
house is set sideways-on to the road.


Listing NGR: TM0029771334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.